Friday, 31 May 2013

Berry Head Bat Walk and Garden Wildlife

So excited. This evening we are off to Berry Head for a guided bat walk organised by the Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust. We will be able to see the Greater Horseshoe Bats in their roost from the Visitor Centre camera and then walk along Berry Head to see them coming out from their roost. We'll be able to listen to them on bat detectors as well. I'll let you know what it was like.


We  have bats in the garden every evening and I'm sure they are Pipistrelle, but I'm going to check that out with the ranger tonight. Here's a great website on bats, gardening for bats and how to encourage them into the garden. Has anyone visited Chester Zoo's bat enclosure? It's an amazing experience with hundreds of free-flying bats around you as you walk through it.


I have planted moth friendly plants too, like Evening Primrose and will get some more in later, like nicotiana and night scented stock. Moths Count from the Butterfly Conservation website has listed all the plants that attract moths if you want to check it out.

Geum rivale leonard photo for Countryside Tales

Sad news from Seagull Sagas. The MDs nest was destroyed, taken down by a human and stuffed into a black plastic bag, eggs n'all. The poor birds called out for ages-I hate that sad sound, it gets right into my heart, I know it means bad things have happened. They have recovered (probably more than me and my neighbour) and are now looking at their old site, refurbishing the old nest. I hope it's not too late for them.

On a happier note, I'm enjoying Spring Watch...are you?

Whilst hedge cutting on Sunday a Slow Worm  popped it's head out of the top, I could have cut it in half-will have to be much more careful next time. We have a lot of them in the garden and I actively encourage them to stay, with sheltered spots in long grass. The females have a thin stripe down their backs. These are still quite small and rest happily during the day under the metal foot of an old spade. I also have a big ceramic dish propped up on some stones and often find them there too. They eat slugs and snails-very helpful in my garden. They are on the side of the garden I leave a little wild, and it's an area I really want to develop into a wildlife habitat.


I've found a new blogger who has started a lovely blog about the wildlife in the Scilly Isles and I think, writes in a really nice style. Take a look at Quite Tall Max on Tresco for beautiful wildlife photos.

I have a new page in the blog for the list of wildlife I see when out and about. It's not going to be a birding list, but hopefully more about the insects around here and more unusual animals-so please take a look as I'll be updating it regularly.

Hope you like the garden photos-this flower bed is only just 2 years old. I have planted it up with insect friendly plants. In the spring it's full of wild primroses.


 Welcome to some new followers. Wendy from Blue Borage and A Herons View Thanks for joining in.

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for the Geum photo. With the pond now in place I've got a new flower bed area to make so can go get more new plants :-) Loved this
    post- I adore bats and slow worms and am v envious about your bat walk tonight. Do let us know how it went. Also, super pictures of your garden- it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Digging that new border played havoc with my back, but I feel it's worth it now. Enjoy your plant shopping. I'm just about to post about my pond and the dragonfly. Bats are great!

      Delete
  2. Hi Suzie:-) Thank you so much for becoming a follower of my blog recently. Sorry it has taken a while for me to reciprocate and also apologies for my lack of posts ( due to illness and other problems), I hope to resume before too long.

    Your guided bat walk does sound exciting and if the weather there is like ours this evening you should stay dry too:-) We used to have bats flying around the eaves of our house at dusk some years ago but not lately. Lovely photos of your flowers and how lucky you are to have Slow Worms in the garden! Very sorry to read about the gull nest, that's very cruel :-(

    You live in a lovely part of the country, I have fond memories of holidays in and around beautiful Brixham :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your comment, I look forward to your next post. Wonder what happened to your bats..must be loss of habitat sadly.

      Delete
  3. Hope you have a great evening with the bats is just as well there is no Spring Watch tonight. We have pipistrelle bats that visit our garden every evening too. Your pictures are so lovely and your garden looks amazing especially the 2 year old border.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I'd love to put another big border in, as I bought a big tree I though it would look good around it, have primed hubby already with the potential garden centre bill!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, I was out yesterday getting more photos, just about to do a new post on what I caught on camera.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos. I spent an evening following bats with a detector, it's great fun. It's interesting to hear about the flowers you've chosen for wild-life friendly planting. And I also came across a slow worm the other day; it was fascinating gazing at it for a moment or two before I covered it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I know, the slow worms are great and I feel bad for uncovering them just for my own pleasure. They must think...there she goes again!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.