Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Brixhams Heritage Fishing Fleet

Brixfest 2013 was a great success, helped hugely by the sunny weather we had. It was blue skies and glorious sunshine all day for both Saturday and Sunday and Brixham was very busy. More events continue this half term break, although the weather has changed, with a crabbing competition, a vintage car rally and tours of the magnificent heritage sailing trawler The Pilgrim.


Pilgrim BM45
 The Pilgrim BM45 (and BM111 Catharina going out to sea)

Brixfest is also combined with the Brixham Heritage Sailing Regatta. It's a great chance to see Brixhams old trawlers wonderfully restored and sailing around the bay. Plenty of other classic boats come along to join in the race.

 

Vigilance BM76 and Provident BM28

Provident BM28



We walked into Brixham and along the half mile Breakwater to get the best views of the boats. Hubby was instructed to make sure I didn't fall off the edge....and as I'm here writing this post, he did ok (not insured anyway-probably a good thing then). I say this because it's quite easy to do when you have the camera over your eyes and you are trying to get some good images!

Great to catch both the Vigilance and The Pilgrim together


Brixhams original fishing fleet numbered over 200, and now there are only a few left. With one, the Torbay Lass in dire straits, which is about to be scrapped if people cant find the money to buy her and move her from Tilbury Docks.



Leader BM156 (the oldest of the fleet)




The Jolie Brise and The Grayhound

The Jolie Brise and the Grayhound are two large and very beautiful boats that joined in the race on Saturday.

I have added a new page to the blog called Brixham Heritage Fishing Fleet, which will give you more information (if you want to explore more) on the remaining boats from the original fleet and images of the ones that were at the Brixham Heritage Sailing Regatta in 2013.
 



I have to say it was thrilling to see them so close, and standing on the Breakwater in the sunshine watching them sail right up close was a real treat for me. I'm not into boats, but these old vessels are worth seeing any time. When you think about how much time, effort and money goes into keeping them in good condition, I'm just delighted that people take the time to do it and in admiration of the many people involved in saving them from the scrap yards.




Vigilance BM76


Brixfest had food stalls, live cookery demonstrations, live music, water sports, a water activity show, where you could try jet skis, ribs, diving, kayaking, and loads more....and of course the heritage boats.



Although not part of the heritage fleet this beautiful boat the Jolie Brise, certainly looked the part.

10 comments:

  1. What a treat and such wonderful boats. Thank goodness the weather was good at the weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was really much better than last year, which was misty, windy and then started raining I think. Which kind of sums up the summer of 2012.

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos. I'm glad the weather was so good and you had blue skies and seas. I love to see the old sailing boats; it sounds a great event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brixfest is really coming along. It used to be called Brixham Heritage Festival, but new people have taken it on and re-vamped it...the weather really helped this time.

      Delete
  3. Your images from the Brixfest are wonderful. I love the red sails and it is wonderful that these boats have been saved. The breakwater makes such a good vantage point we took some wonderful pictures of a trawler coming home to port. I'm glad you didn't fall in!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to get a picture of the trawlers coming in with all the seagulls flying around. I only see them when I haven't got my camera!

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic set of pictures and a lovely sounding weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first attempt at photographing these boats, I took loads of pictures but the boats all together are just stunning. Weekend was lovely very family friendly and relaxed.

      Delete
  5. What fantastic pictures
    Julie xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, the boats are still about and I saw the Provident on my morning walk just off the coastal path on the way to Berry Head, it looked so natural with the cliffs and empty sea around it.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.