Friday, 28 June 2013

A visit to Dartmouth

Dartmouth is not far from Brixham, so it's quite easy to hop on the ferry and spend a few lovely hours in this beautiful town on the river Dart.


I just love the ferry crossing, never mind the shops and restaurants!


The council run Lower Ferry has been overhauled and had major work done to both slipways (having been closed for several months). In the photos below I'm waiting as a foot passenger on the Kingswear slipway, so here's the ferry coming in.




The tugs got a new coat of paint too and are looking lovely in their new grey and orange colours. During the day these two tug ferries run from opposite sides of the river.



They carry up to eight cars and numerous foot passengers. There is also the Higher Ferry which is privately owned and rather posh compared to the Lower Ferry. It runs a crossing lower down the river and is much bigger and smoother.

We always get the Lower Ferry it's more fun!

There are plenty of shops for the tourists but also a really good mix of homewares, clothes, jewellery, shoes and bags, plus art and sculpture (and a Marks & Spencers... hooray).



Dartmouth shop owners make a real effort to show their shops off and I wish Brixham would do the same.


There is a lovely market square which holds regular markets each week and the council have been working hard to promote it with the stall holders.







I love sitting on the benches along the marina watching the world go by. The river is so interesting.
Dartmouth has a lovely little theatre called The Flavel which we go to regularly.



Royal Avenue Gardens is a beautiful spot to sit and enjoy the flowers and plants (and eat a sandwich without being mugged by a seagull).


This beautiful boat flowerbed is just being finished off, so I could not get a photo without the barriers.


There is some spectacular architecture in Dartmouth and I have only snapped a few buildings this time.



I almost forgot to tell you about the railway. Brunel's intention was to build a bridge across the Dart, so the Station building was built, but after lots of trouble from the rich local landowners Brunel never managed to persuade them to bring the line to Dartmouth. The building is now a restaurant.


Here's a few more images of Dartmouth to finish off with. I hope you enjoyed the mini tour. 



Ladies...want to visit Dartmouth and do some serious shopping, we have just the place for your husbands!

P.S. I have updated the Seagull Sagas page with photos of fluffy chicks and a traumatic story about the Douglas family.
Enjoy your weekends, I hope it's sunny. Its almost 30 degrees here, I cant do a thing in the garden without almost melting (strawberry and lime cider chilling in the fridge for later).

12 comments:

  1. Love it, love it, love it! Thanks so much for posting this. I haven't been for years. How marvellous to be able to get there by boat too! Have a great weekend, CT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, it only takes about 10 minutes by car to get to the ferry. It's so much quicker than going the long way around. However there is a good garden centre I'd like to visit on the north side of Dartmouth.

      Delete
  2. That you for the wonderful mini tour around Dartmouth. It has been a few years since we last visited and looks like a return trip is long over due. The husband creche looks a great idea especially with those lovely shops to browse in!
    Can you send some of the heat in this direction we have grey skies here, went out a short walk with a coat! Have a good weekend.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shopping for women is fantastic and I think the men are best left in the pub so they cant feel the credit card getting hotter and hotter!

      Delete
  3. My most favourite place! Had my honeymoon there at the old fishermans cottages round by the lighthouse up at the castle. My parents built a house in Dittisham so had frequent trips there, as well as spending happy holidays there as a child.
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow KC how lucky. What a great place to have a honeymoon. I've yet to visit Dittisham, but they do the NGS Open Gardens each year, so I'm going to try to get there this year.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos of Dartmouth. I haven't visited for well over 20 years so I really enjoyed seeing it again. I love the ferry crossing, although we use modern ferries today, it still seems such an ancient way to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scotland still uses these types of ferries doesn't it. We've enjoyed some great crossings there. Glad you enjoyed a trip down memory lane!

      Delete
  5. I completely agree with you about Brixham. It could be so much better than it is. Admittedly, we were there in November but it doesn't have the charm it has the potential to have. It's such a great place but feels a bit down at heal. Gorgeous pictures of Dartmouth. Nothing like an M&S to perk things up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em, it's not great in winter as it's very quiet and mostly closed up. It's lovely from May through to September, with all the tourists. I love the prep season here-Feb to March when everyone is out preparing their shops.

      Delete
  6. It's been a while since I've been to Dartmouth but it's such a pretty place so thanks for the tour.
    Thank you also for the html advice, can't think why I didn't think of that, probably frustration at the time, but I've now been and sorted it!
    Are you a no-reply blogger as I do reply to emails/comments but the no reply bloggers are not now showing in my email account so I may be replying to people and they never get my messages. Oh well, all good fun :/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I have sent you a reply to this via gmail as well as this, to see what works. I do reply to all comments though. Dartmouth is so pretty and we are off there again on Wednesday to the Flavel Theatre.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.