Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Day out to The Lizard, Cornwall

At last the time together to take a day out. So off we went to Cornwall and some places we have both wanted to see, Kynance Cove, Cadgwith and Lizard Village.

Kynance Cove is quite breathtaking and I would recommend a visit there to anyone thinking of going that way. The photos just don't do it justice. It was very, very windy, but bright, sunny and sort of hazy.


It's now owned by the National Trust and they have been looking after it for about 14 years, restoring the cafe buildings and maintaining the paths.


It was so windy that I had to either lean on Hubby or sit on the ground with the camera against my leg to keep it still enough. The tide was just going out, but with the strong wind the waves were spectacular and the sound crashing against the rocks was mesmerising.


Here's a view from more than half way down to the beach and cafe.




Hopefully you can just make out some people standing on the beach on the right hand side, waiting for the tide to go out further.


On our way back we walked inland part of the way to look at all the plants and escape the wind a little. I saw a butterfly I did not recognise (and I think Em from Dartmoor Ramblings blog saw the same-see her latest post) and beautiful plants.


 I know this is a rose but no idea what its called. It was very pretty and dotted about all over the area.


At Lizard Village we walked down to the coastal path and saw these lovely banks filled with wild flowers.



We went across to Cadgwith and I have to say it was very pretty and a real surprise. The car park is very low key and surrounded by trees and shrubs and bursting with birds and insects. Then there is a little wooded path that brings you down to the village, right past houses and gardens. Hubby was way ahead of me as I kept stopping to take it all in and get a few snaps. The only one I have of the path is blurred..so apologies for the quality, but you get the idea.


Then you start to see glimpses of the sea over peoples garden fences. It was so much fun I could have spent an hour just wandering down this path and checking out the plans in the gardens.


Now that's what I call a garden shed!


And we're still on the way down the path


And my favourite...of course!


And here we are finally at the bottom of the path and into the tiny little harbour.



I hope you've enjoyed this little tour of the very south of The Lizard. Its's got to be my longest post yet! I'm so glad we went before it got very busy in full tourist season. Oh, I nearly forgot to say we had some Roskillys Ice Cream, which was absolutely delicious.

18 comments:

  1. It was fantastic seeing your stunning pictures from your trip to Cornwall. The waves look amazing and you have captured them so well. I liked the garden shed and boats and sign, Glad the sun shone for you.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. I took loads of photos and did manage to get some waves crashing up onto the rocks. Hubby didn't put on sunscreen so was quite red by the evening.

      Delete
  2. An interesting blog view of The Lizard, in one of my favourite areas. That wild rose is called a Dog Rose (Rosa Canina) and is common to many countries in Europe especially Britain and Ireland. The tall purplish bell like flowers are Foxgloves (Digitalis) whose leaves are used in herbal preparation to control sluggish heart beats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dog Rose looked so strong and green in the middle of all the vegitation. How the Foxgloves stayed upright, I dont know, but the banks were beautiful all the way along and full of birds.

      Delete
    2. P.S. I'll be doing a post on Dartmouth soon, and as I know you spent time around this area years ago, I hope it'll bring back some nice memories.

      Delete
  3. Super photos and what a smashing place for a day out. I've just got a new book which might help with the butterfly ID - we're off out for the day so I'll have a look this evening and if you haven't got one by then and I can find it I'll ping you another comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT. I think it is a Fritillary, and probably due to its preferred habitat a Dark Green Fritillary, although it's very hard to tell them all appart without seeing the underneath. I only had my telescopic lens on so could not get close enough to catch any more of it. Its my first Fritillary so very exciting indeed.

      Delete
    2. Thanks CT. This is wierd because I'm sure I replied to you comment but just cant see it! Never mind not doing well with IT at the moment....aaggh. Em saw a similar butterfly so I guessed it was a Fritillary, but as I had the telephoto lens I could not get close enough to catch it's underside. We had a great day out, it didn't take too long to get there and at least the sun shone.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos. I love visiting the Lizard, we go there every year. The coastline is stunning and I love the little paths leading down to the sea. I think you have seen a Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary; it's wonderful to see one. I don't get to see them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I have never seen a Fritillary before so I'm delighted. We might have them about along the coastal path and Berry Head so I must start looking properly at butterflies. The Berry Head Centre writes a list of everthing that's been sighted so I'll take a look next time to see if they are on the list.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous photos, especially of the beach and sea, I do love the beach! Thank you for sharing them. I've got some lovely photos from Land's End, maybe I will have to do a post with them!

    http://thisdaytodaylife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gemma. You would love it in Cornwall as they have amazing beaches. I look forward to your post on Lands End.

      Delete
  6. If it had those lovely pearls on its underside, I think you're probably right about the Pearl Bordered Fritillary, They all look very similar from above!

    We had a holiday on the Lizard a few years ago and I remember that lovely little cove with the cafe. We had to wait a while for the tide to go out too. I'm a great believer in the 'extra large' setting for doing the photos justice but they're lovely anyway. We could have done with some wind here to blow the midges away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em, have you been to Trebarwith Strand over at Tintagel? That's a similar sort of beach and just beautiful. We had a holiday there a few years ago and I still look back and remember how great it was. Really worth a visit. Wind has died down now and for a change we have peace and quiet-the wind here does drive me mad sometimes. I tried to put the images in extra large but the post just would not save so I reduced them and it saved ok...just one of those things. However you can click on one of them to open up a new window to view all in full size and better quality. Such a pain!

      Delete
  7. Your photos are beautiful :) Your post brought back so many memories of a lovely holiday we had on the Lizard about 10 years ago. We stayed in Cadgwith and I remember seeing the bank of wildflowers by Lizard Village that you mention - I was just awestruck :)Kynance Cove must be one of the most beautiful beaches :)Did you see the choughs from Lizard Point?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you staying in Cadgwith, we really thought it was such a pretty looking place, so lush and green-the plants were almost tropical! Sadly the wind and sea make for a slightly harsher environment here and a more bleak and windswept look. No Choughs to be seen-maybe it was the very strong winds that kept them quiet. It was hard to stand upright at times on the exposed spots!

      Delete
  8. Lovely virtual trip thank you
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.