Sunday, 2 June 2013

Look what came out of my pond



I decided to have a day off and sit in the garden with hubby, just lazing around and reading. So I thought I'd just water a few plants and the new trees and top up the pond. Then I noticed a dragonfly nymph attached to my reeds, with a dragonfly emerging. So this 'pond post' is especially for Countryside Tales, as I cant believe they have already populated the pond after just 12 months.           Looks like something from Alien!


So off I went to get my wildlife books! It seems its a broad-bodied chaser dragonfly. I saw one fly off earlier in the week, but never thought it had come from my pond.


You might be able to see the nymph casing just dropped onto the leaf below in the image above.



 They are quite well camouflaged



I hope I've got the stages ok, you can see it slowly opening its wings and moving up the stalk until it's ready to catch the breeze and fly off...which is exactly what it did.


I also had a few large red damselflies. It seems you dont have to have a pond to attract them into the garden, just provide plenty of nectar rich plants which attract small insects for them to feed on. And after all that excitement here's a lovely red damselfly visiting the pond.


I will post on the bat walk next..just had a crazy few days, thought the car needed work doing on it so had to rush off to the garage (it's ok now) and then the home computer crashed...and turns out has had it..so both of us have had to share my works laptop just to check emails and my blog and look for a new one...what a pain! The bat walk was great and very informative.

17 comments:

  1. Ahh fantastic! I am green with envy, but also hugely encouraged and hoping we get the same next year. Lovely pics- well done. I'm really looking forward to reading about your bat adventures. I've been thinking about it during the weekend and wondering how you got on. CT x PS- are those King cups in the pond? I've just bought some and they do look v similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, marsh marigold are one of those pollinator friendly plants, and they are very pretty and bright. The dragonfly is a female, and it's just about possible that the pond was populated as soon as we built it. It seems they like shallow sunny ponds-which is just what I have. Make sure you get some reeds for them to crawl up.

      Delete
    2. ps- meant to ask- what types of reeds did you go for? I've got lesser reedmace but have since read the roots are vociferous and can pierce pond lining so am going to change them. We're trying to keep to native wildlife-friendly varieties and would welcome any thoughts or suggestions. You are my pond reference library now :-)

      Delete
    3. Oh no the responsibility....! I bought dwarf reedmace (typha minima) which is suitable for tubs and small ponds and is not invasive. Hair grass, which is another relative of the rush family and suitable for small ponds and tubs and is very pretty. Variegated spire reed (phragmites australis) again its related to the rampant reed, but if perfectly fine in sunny, small ponds. I think that's all the reeds and rushes in my pond-all chosen as non-trouble makers. I did have irises but they died-I think they accidentally sunk to the bottom of the pond and I found the basket dead and smelly earlier this year. I really want houttuynia cordata, as its leaves are great for frogs to hide in.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for all of that. It's just a good excuse for me to buy more plants really!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Amazing pictures of an amazing occurrence! Thank you for linking my blog too.

    Max

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Max, just lucky that I noticed it.

      Delete
  3. Wow!
    We had dragon fly trapped in our conservatory once, lets just say it was very noisey!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor thing, I hope it survived. I catch bees and put them out of the greenhouse, before the spiders catch them.

      Delete
  4. Well done for capturing that, how amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd noticed it earlier, however it was very well camouflaged. I'll be looking out for them next year.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic pictures of a fascinating event. It's a beautiful creature, too. I love being by ponds on warm, summer days with the dragonflies and damselflies flitting about. Your pond will be a wonderful place to be then. (And I'm looking forward to hearing about your bat walk!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. One thing about this blog is it's making me look up more things, so I'm learning much more that before. I'm planning more plants for the pond and as there is nowhere near enough selling good pond plants I've found what looks to be a good website called Puddleplants. Bat walk coming next!

      Delete
  6. Ho wonderful to notice this in your garden, your images are spectacular. We noticed two dragonflies around our pond at the weekend too. Why does everything go wrong at once? Hope you manage to sort out a new computer I'm glad the bat walk was good and will look forward to hearing about it.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, yes car ok, new computer has arrived too. Normal service will be resumed in our house soon...although Spring Watch is taking up my time.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Julie, I did have visions of falling into the pond head first as I was hanging over the pond edge balanced on some stones. It wouldn't bother me too much, but my camera would have been ruined!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.