Monday, 1 July 2013

Bees and Butterflies

It's been too hot here in Brixham to do any major gardening. So with factor 30 on and a big hat I decided to take some photos of what was going on in the garden this weekend.


I looked in the pond and saw this seed head floating

I did one big job and that was to move one of my compost bins. They needed a mix anyway. I had a fully grown slow worm inside one of the bins and had to pick it up by it's tail end and pop it into the other full bin. I didn't stop to get the camera as I was a bit too mucky to go into the house.


There are some really beautiful seed heads in the garden right now

I tried really hard to get a red-tailed bumble bee but it just moved too fast and I missed it's red tail! So here are some of my other bee visitors.


 I bought some bedding plants for pots around the patio, and decided to pick the ones the bees were on in the garden centre.


I also bought two lovely purple veronica and put them into pots and the bees are all over them.

Spirea Goldflame is a huge hit with the bees


Speckled Wood butterflies vist the garden regularly


Small Tortoiseshell visits the valerian all over the garden and I just managed to catch this image as I was walking down the path before it flew off...again!


Cosmos is a real winner and very pretty too


Grassy area in the back garden. It's not a lawn it's just grass. However I like to keep a few wild areas, and this includes the grass. It is the same grass that I find all along the paths and meadows to Berry Head, and I've been told this was never laid to lawn by the previous owners and is the original meadow grass when the whole place was just open fields. So I've taken a few pictures. The insects love it-especially moths and the bees love the clover and cat's-ear.




My new RSPB bird seed is doing the trick and I've got a lot more visitors since putting it up. The new niger feeder is also a hit with four ports, so no more queues. One day I'll manage to get a better image than this, oh and I'm half way through painting the pergola!


I've had a lovely pair of collared doves in the garden, I've known they were about for ages but they never stopped by until now.


Warning-Arachnaphobes look away now!


It's the same spider but it ran up to the edge of a leaf and I just managed to catch it-quite an amazing looking creature. If you know what it is please let me know. We have the most unusual spiders in the garden, so I must try and get a few photos of them.

This is Lonely Girl looking particularly beautiful so I'll stop here.


15 comments:

  1. Lovely plant and bee shots :-)

    Horrible spider :-(

    Lonely Girl is beautiful :-)

    Wild flowers and grasses are lovely too :-)

    CT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT. Lonely Girl is a lovely bird, I think she's very pretty and small and has a very calm look to her. She is fertile but sadly her nest has failed every year so far.

      Delete
  2. Some stunning photos here! I thought the first photo on a quick glance was something dipped in silver metallic paint. Lonely Girl is a superb photo though. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzy, that first photo is un-processed, it's just as it came out of the camera, I cropped it to remove some bits floating about but that's all. I've been using a new polarizing filter on the lens which helps with glare. I have to say I was amazed when I loaded it onto the computer. Thanks for you lovely comments. I do have a soft spot for Lonely Girl, she's really calm around me and just keeps me company in the garden.

      Delete
  3. Love your images - such lovely photography x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sweetpea Family, I'm delighted you have taken a look and like them-it's remarkable what you can find in the garden.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have your own patch of wildflower meadow! I can quite envious of insect photographs, you have captured them so well. What is your seed head from it looks massive?
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, next year I'd like to add a few plug plants to the meadow grass too. It's only a small patch but I love it. The seed head is in the meadow grass, I think it's called cat's ear and the bees love it. I do have a seed head that is about as big as your palm from a wild flower and will try to get a picture of it when it's out (yet to identify it), but it's all along the coastal path too. I also have little plugs of knapweed which I've grown from seed, it's full of bees along the path each year.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous, gorgeous photos. My favourites are the seed heads on and off the water and the big scary spider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em, many thanks for your comments. We have loads of weird and wonderful garden spiders here. I'm not keen on the really big ones though. Try again-I'm sure I pressed reply, rather than new comment-blogger does some very strange things sometimes.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this look at the wildlife in your garden. Stunning photos of the bees and butterflies - I've seen quite a few Speckled Woods, too this year - so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I love your wild areas, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. In my old house, the garden was a different shape and I sectioned off a whole area for wildlife, with a pond (also where I put the greenhouse)and let the grass just grow wild. I cut paths through it. I had lots of butterflies visiting, especially ringlets. When friends and visitors came they always commented on how it was their favourite part of the whole garden, yet it was the least tended. Maybe we all like that wild meadow look more than we realise.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful stuff Seagull Suzie! I was immediately impressed with the seed head in the water photo - brilliant! Your garden looks amazing too - you really have done a good job - especially for the bees and butterflies!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look Tom. Glad you like the post. I have managed to get the red-tailed bumble bee on camera in the wild meadow grass so will do a quick post very soon.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.