Friday, 23 August 2013

Early Morning Coastal Path Walk

The weather here has been beautiful, not hot like the recent heatwave, but warm and sunny and great for all our moths, butterflies and insects. So here's a quick look at what has been about recently.

The Grey Dagger caterpillar
Lesser Yellow Underwing moth

A misty morning yesterday on the path

The seagull chicks we watch have all left their rooftop homes and parents and are now somewhere out to sea. There are still a few late chicks who are about to leave around Brixhams roofs and I shall miss them. 

St Marys Bay where a lot of the chicks feel the sea under their bodies for the first time

Every morning for the last few weeks I have been treated to the beautiful sight and sound of seagull families flying overhead across the land and out to sea across my garden. The chicks call constantly to their parents and they in turn call back reassuring the chick all the way. Then in the evening they all fly back.

Beautiful meadows alongside the coatal path where the Kestral usually hunts and the swallows fly over

This is what helps to keep the area special for our bat population

Our dog friendly stone stiles, no need to go up and over. Very helpfull when they get older


 Lesser Burdock

 All tucked up

 I never quite know what this is as there are so many similar flowers

A lovely fluffy seed head

Agrimony

So many lovely butterflies along the path. A pretty Speckled Wood and a Meadow Brown



Wild clematis grows all along the path and its seed heads are particularly beautiful in the sunlight


 Here's one of the many spiders with its web amongst the clematis



I like many people have had a large number of bumble bees visiting the garden. These very large ones (the size of the top of my thumb) also appear to really like the white buddleia. So here are some garden photos from yesterday.

Although it doesn't look big this bee is huge

This bee was burried right inside the flower head and I caught it emerging


The beautiful Painted Lady wings open and wings closed. The pattern on the closed wings is amazing

 
 A Small Tortoiseshell


One of the many Red Admirals having a rest in the afternoon sun after spending most of the day on the white buddleia. They seem to like this variety much more than the purple ones.





I feel that Autumn is not far away as I heard a Robin singing yesterday morning. They must be back in full feather after their July/August moult and are now starting to sing.

The blackberries are starting to ripen all along the path.






Have a great bank holiday weekend
SeagullSuzie

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos Suzie!! I love painted ladies, and the underwings are incredible - well done on capturing them so magnificently! And what a caterpillar!! I have never seen one before - incredible! (I think your meadow brown is a gatekeeper)
    Part of me is looking forward to autumn - earlier sunsets and wonderful colours :)

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom. I know what you mean I like autumn, the dewy starts to the day and the colder air and bird song are all lovely things to look forward to. Thanks for ID on butterfly, those two are so confusing with wings shut. I had two painted ladies in the garden yesterday and lots of commas again. One landed on the dogs head!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, I may have to invest in some Buddleia to attract butterflies! I have a similar flower in the garden, a purple one but I was told it's called Violet. There is definitely a hint of Autumn in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gemma you should get some buddleia. I have had insects on all of them, but recommend you get a white one too as this has been very popular. They are easy to look after and you can keep them quite small or grow them into small trees. The birds also like to investigate the seed heads in autumn and winter.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, I will definitely have a look!

      Delete
  3. A lovely post. I love the bees and butterflies and of course those views are gorgeous. My dog Harry would really appreciate that stile! And I'm noticing the same signs of autumn - especially the change in the Robin's song - so different to the bright, perky song of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. At first the my dog didn't know what to do and had to be coaxed through! He's still fit enough to jump over so does a bit of both. It seems so quiet here now without the seagulls calling. I wonder what we'll see this autumn, we usually have very good weather here right into October, so I'm hoping for interesting things.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos and such scenery :) What a wonderful walk to have right on your door step :)Its been a good year here too for bees and butterflies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful walk even in stormy weather-so long as your hat is tied on! The dog loves it and so do we. I must go out and make some bee and insect homes. I bought a pack of bamboo canes to cut up and have some good south facing areas to put these homes into....that should be my bank holiday job :)

      Delete
  5. Hello! Lovely photos. Gorgeous painted lady and the snail all tucked up was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think that was a lovely snug place for a snail. It's amazing what you find when you look hard. Very windy here today so not so many butterflies and bees.

      Delete
  6. Hi Suzie,
    Berry Head looks stunning in your photos and so much wildlife to see too. I love your bee and butterfly images.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah. It's been a lovely week here with warm and still weather conditions-just perfect especially for bees and butterflies.

      Delete
  7. Great photos Suzie and good to see that the mists of the god Manannán also visit Berry Head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-more mists rolling in as I type.

      Delete
  8. A bit late commenting, but been ever so busy. Fab set of photos! Cracking caterpillar! I wish the styles around here were as smart as yours! Even though our dog is young, he isn't really a fan of jumping over the tall ones! I have a similar flower to your white one on my most recent post. I thought mine was wild carrot, but could be wrong. Very tricky indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou. The flower was very small and I think wild carrot is bigger? I tried to look them up with my new book but it didn't help much as there are so many that are similar.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.