Thursday, 8 August 2013

Painted Lady And Other Creatures

I had been thinking about why I hadn't seen a Painted Lady in this lovely butterfly bonanza....and then one appeared. Perhaps I should try thinking about winning the Lottery!



So here are a few more of this lovely creature in the garden. Buddleia wins again.



I have five buddleia plants in the garden and this year they are full of bees and butterflies


Small Tortoiseshell-these are all over the garden at the moment

Large White Female-again these are flying about and mating all over the place!


 Not great images of this butterfly which I think is a male Meadow Brown but I love the orange and yellow flowers




 See what I mean...the Large Whites mating in this shrub, can you see their wings are wrapped around each other?


Shhh...sleeping butterfly in hawthorn tree-taken at about 8.30pm last night. It took me ages to find it as I saw it fly across the garden and into the tree. Sleep tight!


Two Red Admirals together, but there are plenty more, about 4 or 5 on this large white buddleia, and it's full of moths at night.


The same white buddleia but I love the pretty flowers in this close up-sadly the big bumble bee is not quite in focus.


Eating my silver birches but what are they? Is it the saw fly larve?



My little apple tree is loving this warm weather, a gift from fellow gardeners Margaret and Peter-thank you!


Look! It's so hot the passion flower is producing fruit


I am so excited, as down at the bottom of the garden I found this pretty little Robin chick. It seems that the Robin and Blackbird chicks like this sheltered area and are often hiding down there. The Blackbird chick came out to see me too, but I couldn't get a picture quickly enough.


And now there are four...where's our breakfast...oh dear!


The Hoppy Family chicks have finally fledged, here they are together for the last time. I miss them, but am so relieved they made it and have finally left the confines of the rooftops. Interestingly the Hoppy parents always keep their chicks longer than any other family I observe.


No it's not real, but this little frog has brought us weeks of fun as it croaks when you walk past...well it made me laugh every single time!


I am really looking forward to this weekend as it's the Brixham RNLI Station Weekend. With bands on the beach, visiting the lifeboat, vintage motorcycle display, sea rescue demonstrations, bath tub race, and so much more....I hope I get some good pictures.

Welcome to some new followers, Jeremy, and The Gardening Shoe, thanks for taking a look.
Enjoy your weekend
SeagullSuzie

16 comments:

  1. The Painted Lady is superb- I've never seen one before but they have them at Magdalen Hill so we're going back! Have you entered your sighting on the migrant watch section at butterfly conservation? They are keen to get records for painted ladies http://butterfly-conservation.org/612/migrant-watch.html
    The caterpillars on the birch could be moths- there are a number of species that feed on birch. Loved your little Robin and I will miss seeing the seagull chicks but glad they got off safely. Pigeons look a bit put out at the lack of breakfast!! CT :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no I haven't but I will now! I was so chuffed at the Robin chick and even happier that there are more Blackbird chicks after that poor one died colliding with my window. The pigeons are there every morning waiting for me to get up! I buy special pigeon feed with corn for them...no wonder there's a queue.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos. I'm quite envious of the lovely Painted Lady; I've been watching the buddleia here but still haven't seen any this summer. I love all the other butterflies and bees, especially the sleeping butterfly. Good to hear about the young birds doing well and the Hoppy chicks fledging successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. We still have the MD chicks to get off safely, as they were born very late due to the nest being disturbed twice. However they are quite big now and trying out their wings so it wont be long. Soon our rooftops will be quiet and we'll have to wait until next April to see who returns. Today the garden seems full of Whites.

      Delete
  3. I tried to get photos of butterflies the other day but they saw me coming and flew away!
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie they are tricky little beasts to capture and a lot fly away before I can get them. I missed a Silver Washed Fritillary which had been resting on the grass-now that was annoying!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos - the butterflies are superb :) So glad the gull family have fledged successfully.

    We have one of those croaking frogs. It was in son's bedroom and he put it in the garage without telling me - for a while I thought we had a real frog trapped in there!!! :)

    Enjoy the Brixham RNLI Station Weekend - look forward to some photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The coastal path was full of butterflies this morning as it was very warm and still, but the wind is picking up and we have a few clouds now and I think it's how the whole weekend will be. Hopefully I'll get more species later this month. The frogs are great...so much fun, I hope you didn't spend too much time looking for your mystery garage frog!

      Delete
  5. Wow! Love the painted lady sighting! I saw my first of the year only this week as well! You have some lovely photos :)
    Amazing spot of the hiding butterfly - now that is effective camouflage!!
    Enjoy your weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tom, maybe they are little late coming out this year, but it's been a few years since I've seen one. Nice prickly hawthorn to sleep in for protection and as you say so well camouflaged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos! I saw some young robins in the garden last year but none this year. You're lucky to see those different butterflies, I have only seen large whites and one peacock this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so warm here Gemma that I've seen butterflies I have never seen before. I hope this will increase next years population too.

      Delete
  8. Lovely photos you've captured and it's so good to see all these busy little things fluttering about.....don't like those bugs though eating those leaves, naughty things! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had finally had enough of my new silver birch leaves being eaten, so I went out and cut all the leaves off that were covered in them and disposed of the little critters! Sadly just not enough birds in the garden yet to control this sort of thing-although more are coming now.

      Delete
  9. Fabulous photos! I saw my first painted lady a couple of weeks ago - such beauties! The underside of their wings are incredible! It astounds me how these wonderful creatures have evolved to be so cleverly camouflaged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou Mary, I saw your recent post and the images of the Painted Lady are wonderful.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.