Friday, 20 September 2013

Beautiful September Day & Hedgehog Alert

Such a beautiful day today, sunny, warm, with a light breeze and just a perfect day to spend in the garden. So that's what I did!


I've been talking with my nature friendly neighbour next door about hedgehogs. She's been very lucky to have them in her garden this year and has been feeding them.

This next photo is an alert for all of you with netting in your garden. This poor little fella was completely snared and happily my neighbour was able to cut it free. Our recycling bins have these nets, so now I always tuck them into the boxes.



I have alerted the British Hedgehog Preservation Society, my local council and the RSPB and as my neighbour got this good quality picture the BHPS are going to use it in their alert.

I managed to catch a few butterflies and bees with the camera this afternoon.




Hope you can see the butterflies tongue just curling under in this image


This bee is tucked inside the flower-the whole plant has been full of bees today

Deciding that I need to do more for the poor hedgehogs whose numbers are fast reducing (a 95% reduction since the 1970s) I made a hedgehog hibernation box. Also built a couple of wooden arches so that they can travel between our gardens. 15cm square in size is perfect for openings and holes.



I found the old wine box in the garage when we moved, but as it has woodworm, I could not bring it into the house, so this is a perfect use for it. My next job is to speak with my garden neighbours as we share the boundaries and could in theory connect our gardens up...I hope they say yes.


This is a lovely website, Hedgehog Street http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/tracks-and-signs.html

And a great video on how to help hedgehogs in your garden http://www.wildlifegardenproject.com/videos/how-to-videos/174-how-to-help-hedgehogs-in-your-garden

Here are a few flowers in the garden looking lovely even in late September. The temperature was a wonderful 24 degrees today. I'm still watering pots and my new tree. Autumn does not feel like it's arrived in Brixham yet.

 Potentilla

 A very large clematis providing nectar for the last bees about

 Rose hip

 The passion flower fruit...never had so many

 Still got the slow worms

 My crab apple, not many fruit this summer

Whatever the weather, hope you have a good weekend
SeagullSuzie

16 comments:

  1. We contacted some hedgehog societies a while back about using our garden as a rehoming site. Nothing doing yet, which is a shame. I'd love to have them here. Love your new hedgehog box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is a shame-your garden sounds and looks perfect to me, if I were a hedgehog I'd be happy to live in your garden...provided Teddy wouldn't bark at me :) I've a few good places I could put it, so will cover it well and hope for the best!

      Delete
  2. Poor little hedgehog, so glad your neighbour managed to rescue it and hope it uses the new home that you have made. We have quite large spaces under the fences and foxes and badgers will go visit different gardens. The links you gave were excellent. The wildlife looked as if they were enjoying the sunshine in your garden too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's been dry warm and still for quite a few days, so there are still a few bees and butterflies about, thankfully I have plants suitable for them. There has been quite a lot on TV about hedgehogs recently so I feel I must do something.

      Delete
  3. Your hedgehog house needs to be covered over with straw and loose garden material like loose earth twigs and moss to give it some natural insulation. Otherwise leave well alone and thy will fend for themselves, as they have done for thousands of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, yes I will cover it up well-I have quite a few places for it to go and plenty of leaves and sticks too. They are having a really bad time due to loss of habitat and the fact that we are all fencing off our gardens.

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos - its been lovely here today as well :) So glad the hedgehog was rescued - thankfully we don't have any netting in our recycling boxes or the garden but glad an alert is going to be put out to make people aware. We used to have hedgehogs years ago (even babies :) ) and have a hedgehog house in the garden but I haven't seen one for a few years just the occasional dropping that looks hedgehog-like!

    Really envious of your slow worms - such beautiful creatures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been doing internet searches on hedgehog droppings!! I found a lovely blog called Shirls Gardenwatch http://blog.shirlsgardenwatch.co.uk and Shirl has a good photo to use as id. Shame you don't see yours, have you tried to set up a feeding station to see if they are about? Always delighted to find the slow worms, just need to make sure I look after the habitat they hide in to give them somewhere safe to live. I find them in the hedges too when I'm hedge trimming-which makes the whole job even worse-so afraid of chopping one into two.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos of your garden. I'm so glad you could rescue the Hedgehog and that you've alerted the different organisations about the danger of the netting. Hedgehogs are lovely creatures and it is so worrying about their decline. I love the hibernation box - hope you get a resident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I covered it with layers of bubble wrap for insulation and a dark green waterproof over cover. I've put it under a big shrub, covered it over and put lots of leaves inside-I'll take a photo for the next post.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness that hedgehog was saved and that you've alerted people to the dangers of those nets! Hope you can connect with next door, I'm sure they wont mind! Lovely photos x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spoke with one of the neighbours two doors down and they have hedgehogs and gaps under their fence so if I can connect with next door we will have three linked gardens-well it's a start!

      Delete
  7. I love the colours in your first photo and very impressed with your hibernation box! You'll have the rest of the UK's population of hedgehogs feeling jealous! Well done for alerting the relevant groups etc! You may well have saved a lot of hedgehogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lou. I need to cut that lavender back but it's full of spider webs and insects so will have to wait a bit longer.

      Delete
  8. I've been thinking you hadn't been posting as BLOGGER has obviously removed you from my list. Does that happen to you? It's so annoying. Anyway, glad I've found you're still here and I'll re-load you! Oh - and your garden looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I clicked on reply but it didn't work...! Thanks Em. The Blogger reading list does come and go sometimes but I think everyone I follow is there. I notice they have done some changes to the comments section. Glad you found me anyway! I have an updated picture on the hedgehog box-fully insulated and in place so will post that next time.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.