Friday, 27 September 2013

Brixham Sunday Market

Another beautiful sunny day so I went off to see the stalls at Brixham's new-ish Sunday Market. It's really coming along nicely and I hope we can attract more stalls as it progresses into next year.


I was there quite early so some of the stalls were still setting up





These scones probably don't look it, but they are huge!



Although the stall holder looks very grumpy in this photo his stall is lovely and the cakes are delicious. I bought a ginger cake and it was mouth watering.


The pizza over all fired up ready for the day


The West Country Deli Stall. This is a new deli which is now open in Brixham. The owners worked so hard to get the shop ready themselves and have been promoting their new venture by having a stall at the market for a while.


Here is Mrs Wescotts Honey Products with a bigger stall than last time. Last time  I bought a lovely chutney and a lip protector which is so soft.


Lovely bread for sale and its delicious too


Another great stall selling deli products


I took these photos a few weeks ago. The market has its final Sunday soon, until next summer. I think the Brixham Chamber of Commerce has worked very hard to get the market going and I really look forward to it coming back next year hopefully well supported by stall holders and visitor.

I took a walk back home along the marina




More great work from the Pride In Brixham volunteers



 

I spotted this unusual weather vane on top of one of the houses along the marina which used to be Uptons Boat Yard years ago. The middle picture on the blog header shows what the development looks like now.


I hope this sunny post has made you feel less like winter is approaching!
Have a good weekend all
SeagullSuzie

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos - yet again!
    I really find that label name ' Hogs Bottom' a bit off putting & would think twice before eating any of their products.
    Am surprised that you have yet to show a photo of King Billy who stands on the town end of Brixham's quay ( or used to?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. King Billy is still here, but there is now a bus stop almost in front of the statue, which caused uproar at the time! I must check out the full range of Hogs Bottom products-maybe a range of skin care next.

      Delete
  2. The Brixham Sunday market looks enticing with local produce. We were amazed what the Pride in Brixham volunteers have achieved and took pictures if their efforts back in February the garden looks so different in it's Autumn colours - so lovely.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The volunteers have been working on a new area along the marina, with men climbing up a rock face-I'll take some photos next time I'm in town.

      Delete
  3. I'm going to search that market out sometime?
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still in development really compared with some others, but when the weather's good it's a lovely walk around the town.

      Delete
  4. I love local markets and this market looks wonderful. I would head straight for that honey stall each time! It seems a shame, but is understandable, that the market isn't held over the winter. Would the Chamber of Commerce ever consider a Christmas market?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do have a Christmas market on two dates-and that's getting better too. Brixham is very quiet in the winter and I just don't think they would get enough customers to make it work. Totnes Christmas market is brilliant and well worth a visit.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful post and I love that market, with all the yums! Do you get a Christmas market? that would be good. It's great that Pride in Brixham is in place, so good when people take a pride in the place they live. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These volunteers do a terrific job and are great gardeners with wonderful imaginations. Visitors are always stopping to look at their work and take photos. I think I'll put all the photos I have together on a page, as they have such lovely little quirks. We have a Saturday craft market-that has really improved too, but the Christmas market is just over two days.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous photos - I always feel as though I am Brixham with you when I read your lovely posts :)

    The market looks superb and the food delicious :) Especially like the look of the Veggie Deli :) I would be spending a fortune there!

    I love the photo of the cottage door surrounded by red valerian :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I do spend too much when I go as I like to support the stall holders and the market. It has come on a lot-when I visited the first time it was full of cup cake stalls, as word gets out that it's improved more people have started visiting. I love the milk bottle in the display-it must be glued on though.

      Delete
  7. Don't think I fancy Hog's Bottom Mustard!!

    Looks fab- I love markets, so bright and cheerful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to get over to Totnes market this summer but didn't make it. It's brilliant and so diverse and colourful too.

      Delete
  8. Brixham looks lovely! Markets like this are fab - I have spent a fortune on random edibles, paintings and bits and bobs at them over the years. The honey product stall looks especially interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs Westcotts Honey products are all from Brixham, where she lives. If you start at the top of the market the cider sellers are usually here-after a lovely glass of cider, its a fun walk back down to the bottom!

      Delete
  9. Brixham just looks delightful and all those yummy deli stalls would have me spending a fortune (that I don't have) you describe your outings wonderfully :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Lou, best thing to do is just bring a set amount of cash and no cards!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.