Saturday, 5 October 2013

Fishing Boats, Shoalstone Pool and More Gardens


Brixham Port seemed very busy today. Plenty of boats coming and going under a cloudy looking sky.


Quite a lot of fishing boats under repair along the harbour
 

I thought these three looked lovely together, like matching luggage


A lobster pot sculpture along the marina, this is just the top one, as there are three pots filled with rope and netting with beautiful metal sea creatures attached


A look across the bay to Torquay from Breakwater beach
 

A little further along and the sun is really starting to shine


Living on the edge. Although they have great views I'm not sure I could cope with my house clinging onto the rocks like this. Imagine dropping your garden trowel.....splash....sink!

 
One of the many magnificent sailing ships in Brixham
 

A little bit more from our wonderful Pride in Brixham Volunteers



 No surprise they won this!
 
Their latest Garden along the marina-it's just finished and brilliant!
 



Shoalstone Seawater Pool

Great artwork along the back walls, scales, serpents and fish all mixed up


Here is the pool emptying back into the sea after high tide


And a couple of better photos looking out to sea


Then looking back across to Brixham from the pretty recreation and park area above the pool
 

The Great Gorilla Project

Celebrating 90 years of conservation at Paignton Zoo, the Great Gorillas Trail has been aimed at engaging the public with a mass art project of 30 life size painted gorillas positioned at various locations. The English Riviera has been home to 19 of the gorillas. The worlds most endangered species of gorilla is the Cross River gorilla. This exhibition is to help raise awareness and funds to protect this animal from extinction. There are only about 300 left.
 
Here in Brixham we have had Nacho at Shoalstone Pool and Bob at Brixham Marina, when you get up close it's quite amazing being able to feel how big they really are. 


Here is Nacho looking out to sea at Shoalstone


Bob protecting Brixham Marina


Herbert outside the entrance to Paignton Zoo


The trail ends on Sunday 13th October and the gorillas will all be available to see at Paignton Zoo from 18th to 20th October, just in case you're in the area. If you'd like more information on the project take a look at the website. On 6th November they will be auctioned. I wonder how much they will be? I'd love one in my garden!

I hope you have enjoyed this little walk around Brixham with me on a warm, almost sunny morning in October and the information on the gorillas. Enjoy your weekend.
SeagullSuzie





20 comments:

  1. A lovely wander around Brixham, Suzie. I don't think I would like to live on the edge like that either. It looks a bit precarious. Looking out of the windows must seem like looking out of a boat.
    I do love those tall sailing ships.
    I think it would be fun to buy one of those gorillas, if you had a big garden, and then tuck it away, half hidden, amongst large shrubs, so that it would surprise any unsuspecting visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I'm afraid the gorillas are expected to go for at least £1,500 and possibly more for ones like Poirot. Hubby was prepared to pay a certain sum, but that's too much for us!

      Delete
  2. Love your photos of Brixham, especially after visiting there this summer. So bright and cheerful. Thanks for sharing them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it brought back good memories of your recent trip. Brixham will be so quiet soon.

      Delete
  3. I've so enjoyed walking round Brixham with you :) Such lovely photos and the Gorilla Trail is wonderful :) The Pride in Brixham Volunteers Gardens are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gorilla trail was someone's very bright idea and has been very successful. Delighted you enjoyed the walk. I don't know what garden they will be working on next!

      Delete
  4. I think I saw a couple of bits of Grenville House in the background there.....I'll be back delivering OB there in just over a year's time. Wonderful photos as ever, especially of the boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did indeed Em. Grenville House is just above the latest rock climbing garden and we often walk past listening and watching the children climbing up the ropes.

      Delete
  5. I love the colourful boats and gorillas! I can't believe how warm it still is here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I have lots of lovely boat images still to share, but thought they would be nice on a post in the middle of winter! Temperature is dropping now but it's been a very sunny day.

      Delete
  6. It was wonderful taking the walk around Brixham with you. The pictures are fantastic and have taken me to parts I have never visited. The gorillas look a fun addition to the local scene. I hope lots of money is raised through the auction.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I love walking around Brixham, so glad you enjoyed it. I must take you all on a walk around 'Cow Town' which is the St Marys area. Its full of beautiful cottages and quirky lanes.

      Delete
  7. That was a lovely walk, thank you. Could we stop for a cream tea next time!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will definitely stop for a cream tea next time...what good idea.

      Delete
  8. That was terrific! I've not been to Brixham for some time but your posts are tempting me back. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted to hear it. Brixham is changing for the better and we have seen improvements in pubs and shops in the last few years. Certainly if you came for the weekend you would have plenty of lovely places to stop and eat, rest and just relax too.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful place. The development of the area is fast which only means that economy is booming in the area as evidenced by the busy ports and tourist attractions. I'd like to go there someday.
    - Adirondack-Guide-Boat.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel. Yes, lots of people are working very hard here to make Brixham a wonderful place to visit. Brixham has the highest grossing fish catch in England at £27million through it's lovely new fish market and it keeps the town alive. Sorry for such a late reply to your comment.

      Delete
  10. Hello Dear,It was a beneficial workout for me to go through your webpage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking a look, It's come along way since my first post in April 2013!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.