Friday, 25 October 2013

Newt Rescue and Garden Pictures

Whilst out walking the dog I found this poor little guy on the pavement. I couldn't leave it to die there, so I picked it up and spent the rest of the dog walk with a poorly newt in my hand.


Something tells me he's not so well

I still put him in the pond just in case it revived him


Sadly poor newt was too far gone when I found him, but at least he didn't die squashed on the pavement

I've been getting along with the hedgehog house and fence holes. So here's a few pictures to show what I've been up to

Hedgehog holes along the wild garden boundaries 15cm x15cm



Here is part of the wild garden that I'm still developing, with large stones for the frogs and toads, chipped garden clippings and a wildlife pond


The pond isn't finished as I have to complete the borders but there are frogs already


The hedgehog house finished, waterproofed and in position. It's full of leaves and under a huge shrub

So here it is tucked up nicely. I hope I get a resident



Some images of the garden near the house and another little pond, where the dragonflies energed and my new bird table which was a birthday present from hubby earlier this year.


 

Wednesday was a beautiful day here in Brixham, very sunny with beautiful blue skies. So I went out a took a few photos of what's going on in the garden. I was joined by my pretty little rock dove (or feral pigeon) who comes to see me every day for some seeds.



The crab apples shining brightly in the sun



The passion plant produced lots of fruit which have ripened into lovely orange fruits which the birds and snails love


A lovely viburnum flowering now



Jasmine (jasminum officinale) just turning colour. I hope it's mild enough here for it to survive although it is in a sheltered spot


More autumn colour from cotoneaster horizontalis which is just about to go into the wild garden by the new pond


The new leaves of buddleja plants are a beautiful silvery colour and much softer than the old dark green leaves


The sun was shining hard onto the leaves of phormium jester and created this lovely texture



I feel that this will be the last of the good weather here for a while as there is a weather warning of a massive storm, called St Jude heading our way this Sun/Mon. We are so exposed here so I'm sure it'll be pretty bad.  On Monday wind speeds of 55mph were recorded at Berry Head. Although I feel they are just preparing us for the worst as it's not clear that it will hit us. I will prepare the garden anyway, putting everything into the garage and moving pots into sheltered areas.

I forgot to tell you that I recorded over 60 swallows flying overhead on Friday Oct 4th. The weather was warm and dry and that count was only over 30 minutes between 6pm and 6.30pm. I wonder how many more flew over that I didn't see earlier in the day.

Congratulations to Brixham for making the headlines with the highest value fish catch in England valued at £27 million. Brilliant news for the fishermen and our little town.

Em from Dartmoor Ramblings has been busy recently. I have bought her beautiful and original Christmas cards, and also asked Em to sketch one of my cats. Thanks so much Em, just like CTs Teddy sketch, I love my cat sketch.

Welcome to some new followers Amy from lovemademyhome and Kique at pinceladasdelanaturaleza

I hope the weather will be better than predicted and that my greenhouse will still be standing when I next post!
Seagullsuzie

13 comments:

  1. What a lovely carer of wildlife you are, so sad about the newt, but as you say, better to end up in your pond than just left on the pavement. Hope that the weather is not as bad as they are saying it is going to be too. Hope that your greenhouse makes it - is it vey fragile? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy, the greenhouse is well protected and quite strong, I used 4 wooden stakes to fix the base to the ground and each pane is held in by 4 clips-so here's hoping nothing hits it as that's when it blows apart. It was funny when I got the wooden stakes made it looked like I was off killing vampires!

      Delete
    2. I hope that all the stake driving not only saw off the vampires, but saw off the storm too!

      Delete
  2. You're very welcome....thanks for trusting me with your beloved's portrait! Will be featuring him next time. Oh - and your garden looks gorgeous. Shame about the newt. I've often tried to rescue them but I think, if they're possible to catch, they're too weak to make it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor newt, it's always worth a try I think. The wild garden is coming along now, but it's taken time and is full of slow worms so I want to be really careful.

      Delete
  3. Nice to have a catch up with what you've been up to. Well done with the hedgehog boxes, finger's crossed for residents! CT :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the weather now I'm sure the box will be dry and warm and hopefully full of creatures sheltering from the storm that's just picking up now.

      Delete
  4. Your garden looks wonderful - so sorry about the newt but at least you tried to save him. Good luck with the hedgehog house. I do like the idea of hedgehog holes in the garden fence - I'll try and get husband to put some in ours. We used to regularly get hedgehogs but I haven't seen one for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you really need to take a look at your garden and surrounding areas and see what you can do to attract them. Their habitat is so fragile now that anything you can give them will be a bonus I'm sure. Half the problem is that they can't travel between gardens.

      Delete
  5. Ah poor newt, at least you tried your best to help it! Lovely to see your fab wildlife friendly garden and those great hedgehog boxes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I must get a few log piles going next, and have some nettles to plant in the spring. Do you know I saw a red admiral today...poor thing I hope it's found somewhere snug as the storm is just starting.

      Delete
  6. A lovely look at your garden at the moment. That is a shame about the newt, but at least you placed him in his own environment. Hope a local hog finds that perfect winter residence! Good news that the frogs are finding your pond - sadly none have discovered my new mini-pond yet. And I'm still amazed that you saw so many swallows together - such a wonderful sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, I'm going to look out for the swallows every year now-it was a lovely sight. The garden is full of frogs and toads so I really hope I get results with the ponds in spring, at least they wont have to travel far to mate and spawn.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.