Saturday, 9 November 2013

Brixham Is Beautiful In November

Last Monday was a beautiful sunny day so I went for a walk with my camera. I decided to go through Brixham and along the side of the Fish Market which I don't think I've shown you before.

 
 Here is a view of The Fish Market looking across to Paignton and Torquay

I started my journey at the top of the Berry Head side of Brixham, then walking down from my house to these lovely views. I'm about to walk around the marina and along the left side of the fish market as you look at the picture above


The Breakwater Lighthouse standing out brilliantly in the sun with blue seas behind


One of my favourite views of Brixham Town, doesn't it look so pretty?


 The tide is out

 Swans in the harbour
 
 Boats being repaired and painted



The Quay
For those of you who visited Brixham this summer, look how quiet this area is along the harbour with all the tourist shops and huts closed up for winter.

Swans and gulls together in the sunshine and the shelter of the inner harbour




I'm really not sure what this bloke was doing but the Herring Gull seems interested. He was doing this when I walked past on my journey and was still there clinking about in the mud with chains when I came back. It did occur to me that perhaps he was an 'Incomer' who had upset 'The Locals' and they had chained him up waiting for the tide to come in. The Herring Gull would therefore be waiting for his supper!


 
Around by the entrance to the Fish Market. I took a lot of photos so have made a  collage to make it easier to view and read


On my walk along this path I am in fact on the South West Coastal Path which goes all the way to Broadsands and beyond. One of my lovely feathered friends keeps me company.


Behind me are the boats taking over a fair bit of the Oxen Cove car park in the winter

 

The tourist boats having a rest after a very busy season



 Looking across from Oxen Cove to The Breakwater


Looking at the other side of the Fish Market and the trawlers going about their business




And finally my walk for today is finished looking back across the outer harbour towards Brixham Marina.
 
and I head back home
 

I'm so sorry folks, I forgot to stop for a cream tea with you....maybe next time!
Have a good week
SeagullSuzie

26 comments:

  1. What a great walk, even without the cream tea!
    I know seagulls can be a pain, but I do love them too. Their calls are one of the things I like most about being close to the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sound of seagulls calling is so special and I can't imagine living somewhere without hearing them each morning and the beautiful call of the chicks.

      Delete
  2. I love to go out on walks with my bloggy friends. I do so many lovely miles and see so many lovely things. Thank you for taking me out today for such a beautiful walk! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, glad you enjoyed the walk. It was just such a beautiful day I couldn't stay in.

      Delete
  3. That was a lovely walk, thank you!! I was going to mention the lack of cream tea though!!! Beautiful pictures, I could almost smell the sea air!! Where can we going next time - please?!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the cream tea! Plenty of places still to go, which seems amazing in such a small place. We can have ice cream in the summer, and stop for fish and chips too.
      One evening last summer hubby and I went off for a fish and chips supper, we sat on the Breakwater Beach eating them and a seal swam past...just magic.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pics, what a fantastic place to call home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sea looks so blue! And the sunlit houses so cheerful. I thought Brixham was just lovely when we came this summer and I know I've said it before but I am so glad to be able to continue to see it through your blog. Crikey the seafront looks quiet out of season- I'll bet this is your favourite time of year from that point of view, although I suppose all the people do bring energy with them. Still, like the swing of the seasons, down time is necessary.

    PS- love the collage photos- they look great. Now all I need to do is work out how to do the same on mine... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, it was such a beautiful sunny day, I knew the sea and sky would be beautifully blue. It is nice to have a rest from the tourists, although I love them being here too. Brixham town centre is still very busy and the central car park is full every Saturday so that's really good news for the town. I use Picasa for the blog photos and making a collage is very easy-honest!

      Delete
  6. You really do make it look so beautiful. I must come back one day when it isn't like it was this time last year! All we saw was fog and rain around Grenville House. OB will be going again this time NEXT year I think so, if I don't make it before then, perhaps we could meet up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em, Grenville House is always busy and I often get asked for directions to it on my walks about. It would be lovely to meet up and have a walk around Brixham together, we can stop for a cream tea too! Drop me an email when you're planning a visit and hopefully we will have some lovely weather instead of fog.

      Delete
  7. I remember the new Fish Market being built, the old one was on the quay side of the inner harbour.
    That photo of the RML craft is a tiny bit like of how the old Western Lady ferries used to look like.
    Great photo's Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel. The new Fish Market caused a real stir here, having not seen the old one, I think the new one is a great addition to Brixham. I'll be writing a new page on the RML craft as it is the beautiful Fairmile B, looking stunning after a £160,000 refit by it's owners Greenway Ferry Pleasure Cruises.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful photos - you do live in a scenic town Suzie and it looks such a lovely day :) Well done on the collage - I wouldn't know where to start!! I haven't been to Brixham since I was a child and went with my parents but it still looks so unspoilt. Thanks so much for sharing and I did enjoy walking round with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, I'm sure Brixham has changed for the better. It had a bad time in the 1980's apparently, quite run down like many places then, but has managed to turn itself around.

      Delete
  9. I've loved your wander around Brixham. It's lovely to see some blue sea and sky at this time of year. It does look a bit more relaxed outside the tourist season, which must give you locals something of a break! But nice to see it's still busy enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, yes Brixham is lucky in that the Fish Market keeps the place alive during winter and the car parks are full at the weekends with locals and quite a few visitors too.

      Delete
  10. Familiar sights to me in these lovely photos of yours. Is the Golden Hind still moored in the harbor I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, the Golden Hind is still here and looking lovely too. Each year at the Pirate Festival they use the boat for battle scenes and recently a famous TV chef took it over for a cooking programme. It's in the process of being sold-so not too sure what will happen.

      Delete
  11. Looks like a lovely place for a walk! Can't beat being by the seaside :)
    Your photo of what looks like a curious gull made me smile. Cracking birds.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, they are much more intelligent that people give them credit for and quite wonderful to watch. Apparently the blue colour keeps us seaside folk healthier than our city cousins as researchers are looking into the positive effects of the colour blue on our moods. It is certainly true that we go out a lot more that when we lived inland in North Yorkshire-even though it's a beautiful place.

      Delete
  12. Brixham certainly looks a delightful place to live and the sea is so blue!! Superb photos :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou, I love those blue sky, blue sea days and you know the sea is really clear here, except on storm days of course.

      Delete
  13. Looks to me like the fellow is digging for clams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I did think he might be digging but he was in the same place for ages and seemed to be attempting to untie or unlock some boat chains. Normally those guys have buckets or carts...anyhow there were no reports of a man drowning in the inner harbour and being eaten by a herring gull.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.