Friday, 22 November 2013

Cockington Country Park

Cockington is a lovely country park in Torquay. There is so much to see and do, with beautiful walks, art studios, tea rooms, and shopping at the Sea Change Studios with local artists and craftspeople.


With over 450 acres of parkland, woodland, lakes and historic buildings it's quite a surprise to find in Torquay
 

Cockington is undergoing a huge renovation and restoration project. The lakes have become overgrown and full of carp-which means they support no wildlife. Beautiful old 16th century buildings will be restored and put to good use.



It's really worth a visit if your are ever in the area and a great way for me to get my woodland fix

 
A very pretty cricket pavilion and cricket green
 

The Manor House dates back to the Doomsday times. I couldn't get a decent photo as there was scaffolding and work going on. So here is a shot of the very pretty Tea Rooms



Norman church of St George and St Mary
 



Cockington Village is picture perfect and my photos do not do it justice as I was trying to miss out the tourists! Old English gardens and thatched cottages are everywhere you turn.




A pretty rose memorial garden  connects the park and the Stables. I must come back and catch it in full bloom next year.


The old water mill building and wheel which is in desperate need of restoration




The Stable Yard Studios
 


 
 
OurGlass - Traditional glassblowing


Maker of Cockington Rocking Horses-Jack Bowman
 

Rex Latham The Blacksmith


I thought I'd try a few black and white images




I'm not sure how well these will come out but there are some lovely information boards showing old and new Cockington.




It's Brixhams Christmas Market and lights switch on this weekend so we are off to support the event. This year there will be a candlelight procession too, so I shall try to capture some of it with my camera, although they may just be blurred.

We have been quite busy recently going out on our one free night together. Last week we saw Twelfth Night at Kents Cavern and it was a wonderful evening of entertainment by Butterfly Theatre Company. This week we went to the cinema and saw the brilliant Gravity and next week we are off to see a blues band in Dartmouth. So much to do here over the Christmas period, after that it's Dartmouth by candlelight which I can't wait to go to and lots of Christmas markets, including Totnes and Dartington.

I have found and added to this blog the new Berry Head webcam and the live weather and shipping map. The shipping  map is great fun as you can get information on each boat and when it's really windy you can see the actual wind speeds recorded at Berry Head. The links are just above the two pictures at the bottom of the blog page.

Thank you for all your kind comments about the injured swan on my last post.

Hopefully I will be out and about with my camera tomorrow, although I'm not too confident in my night time photography skills. Have a good weekend.
SeagullSuzie


19 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness!! Cockington! I remember going there when I was little, we stayed at a hotel in Paignton for our summer holidays for a couple of years, before my Mum was poorly. We were treated to a ride on the horse and trap!! I thought I was the bee's knee's I can tell you!!! We came down to Dorset/Devon in the week to get the paperwork sorted to keep our caravan on our favourite site near Bridport for the summer next year, so will put Cockington on my list of places to go!! Called in at the Donkey Sanctuary for a 'Donkey fix'!! Then on to Darts Farm for lunch and home again!! Roll on next March, can't wait to be in that beautiful part of the country!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely that you remember it. Sadly the horse and trap business owner was taken critically ill with a mysterious condition and died this summer. Such a shame as he worked so hard on his business and everyone loved it. I think Cockington will really improve when the lakes are restored as so much more wildlife will come in.

      Delete
  2. My husband's family used to visit Cockington every summer, as one of my m-in-law's best friends moved to Torquay for her health (Babbacombe end). I didn't realize it had been - presumably - a big estate and was now a country park. It looks my sort of place, I have to say. I have a couple of pieces in my Torquay pottery collection with Cockington scenes on.

    Looking forward to seeing the photos of the Christmas market, and "lighting up"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a beautiful walk from the seafront through a little tree lined valley with walkways, ponds and wild flowers and it's so peaceful. Then you arrive in the perfect little village and walk on to the vast and green country park. The Americans and Japanese really love it.

      Delete
  3. Looks like a great place. Dartmouth by candlelight sounds gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really looking forward to it as the Christmas market starts, Santa arrives by boat and it's all lit up with candles.

      Delete
  4. Lovely post with some great photos. Haven't been to Cockington since I was a child but you have brought back some more memories :) You live in such a beautiful part of the country :)

    Christmas markets and Dartmouth by candlelight sound wonderful - look forward to photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted it's bringing back some memories. So many Christmas things to do, we have planned it all out on the calendar-really looking forward to Dartmouth-they do things so well.

      Delete
  5. Cockington does sound great. I love that first pic especially.
    Fascinated by the shipping map too. It's a bit bloomin' crowded out there, especially up the Channel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the map is really interesting-and when you know some of the boats (the trawlers) it makes it more interesting. We do get some huge tankers around Berry Head and into the bay. Lots of boats come in for underwater hull inspections as it's cheaper than dry dock.

      Delete
  6. These are my old haunts. It is great to hear they are up keeping the place. I always loved my visits there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's great Denise. Some of the old buildings are in real need to major work and I was unable to take any good photos as they are all under scaffolding or taped off. The artist studios are great and very popular too.

      Delete
  7. This looks a lovely place to visit, Suzie and a great place to see autumn colour. I would find all that local history fascinating.
    There sounds as though there's lots to look forward to where you are over Christmas. The Christmas markets sound wonderful. And the candlelight procession - and Dartmouth by candlelight, sound very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I've just posted my Brixham night time photos-this was a practice for Dartmouth! I have never taken any night photos and it's not easy. One thing I looked up was don't use the flash as it can make it look artificial. So looking forward to Dartmouth.

      Delete
  8. We went here when were on our honeymoon many, many years ago. It doesn't look as it has changed very much either which is nice to see. Lovely pictures too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I don't think it has changed much Sarah. Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust are a focused group and I'm sure the improvements and renovations will be great. The lakes are really neglected, but I don't mean they are full of rubbish or anything like that-just flat and lifeless. It will be wonderful to restore them.

      Delete
  9. You do go to the nicest places! It looks very pretty, so I imagine that it is stunning in the summer. Hope that you enjoyed the candlelight christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. So many people enjoy Cockington, we often see weddings there too. The dog has a great time-so many new smells and woodland areas to explore-it's quite different to the beach for him.

      Delete
  10. That really does look a wonderful place to explore! I love those thatched cottages - would really like to live in one at some point in the future!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.