Monday, 23 December 2013

Dartington Cider Press And Christmas Wishes from Brixham

Yesterday we went over to the Christmas Fair at Dartington on the site of the old cider press. It was good to get there early and as we passed the major supermarkets there were queues just to get into the car park.

Here are a few photos of the Christmas Market, there was a band playing, the sun shone and it was a lovely little trip out. I bought some beautiful greeting cards which I'm going to frame, tree decorations at half price and 4 lovely stoneware mugs again at half price.


Here are some of my favourite Christmas tree decorations, and as you can see we have a gold cherub on the top of our tree. The Christmas tree light positioning is deliberate and a great source of amusement in our house each year....!


Our Christmas tree. It was great fun going to Marldon Christmas Trees to select out tree this year as you could go out into the fields and select one which they cut down and you could take home there and then, so we did. It's a 7 foot Nordman Fir and was a struggle to get into the car.


In an effort to keep me quiet and rested I have been reading some novels by Thomas Hardy. I'm a real Thomas Hardy fan and have already read all his books and poems once, but not for a very long time. Hubby bought me Far From The Madding Crowd and I've just finished reading it. I had almost forgotten how much I love his writing, here are just two lines from this story that I love.

"On a day which had a summer face and a winter constitution"
"It is difficult for a woman to define her feelings in a language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs"

The storms are back and after seeing what Scotland are going to get on the Countryfile weather forecast last night I feel really sorry for them. The winds here are not at their strongest just yet, we have a force 7 storm with winds at about 35mph.

I still have to go out to buy the chicken, potatoes and parsnips. I was planning a nice walk into Brixham today but the weather has prevented that, so I'll have to wait until hubby is back with the car to venture out.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas
SeagullSuzie


15 comments:

  1. Your tree is lovely. Be careful when you go out, it's wild out there!
    Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you-I love getting the tree it's my favourite part of the festive preparations. Got much wilder as the day progressed with a storm force 8-9 and winds gusting at 65 mph here. More to come tonight and tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. The market looks fun and I like your cherub. We would put the light there too!

    Hardy is one of my favourite writers and Tess one of my favourite books. When I was post-migraine last week I spent an afternoon watching movies and ended up ordering some more Jane Austins- praps you should do the same until you are fully recovered?

    CT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dartington Cider Press is very pretty, old stone buildings and courtyards and next to woods and a river walk. Hopefully next year I'll get out with the camera when it's not so busy and get some good pics for a post. Yes I bought 6 more TH books and am currently reading Tess.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see you Suzie! Your tree looks beautiful, and so do your new decorations! I wish that we had room for a real tree like that, you made a great choice. I hope that you are weathering the storms alright, it has been blowing a hooey here all afternoon. Hope that you have a very Happy Christmas and New Year and I look foward to reading more next year! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I went out on Tuesday to get the rest of the shopping and there was a sale on xmas decorations so I bought some more!
      Quite a few leaks in the conservatory-all the neighbours were the same, when it's blowing horizontally at the back of the house at 65mph I don't think there is much hope of rain not getting in somewhere or other. Our fence panels and my greenhouse are all intact but many others are not.

      Delete
  4. Happy Christmas to you too! Love the daylight on your tree. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. Our tree seems to be getting bigger each year, the cats love it and Griffin lies underneath it to ambush any other pet that goes past.

      Delete
  5. Glad you managed to get out and enjoy the Christmas market at Dartington, it's always a lovely place to visit. I like your seagull on your tree! The weather has been dreadful here today hope it is not so bad down your way, Wishing you a very Merry Christmas.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, hubby has been great taking me out and looking after me. The seagull tree decorations were irresistible! Terrible weather for us too and I know it was moving over your way and on to Sussex. More storms here moving in tonight and tomorrow.

      Delete
  6. I love your photo collages - you are clever - I wouldn't have a clue how to put one together!!!

    Your tree looks beautiful and so festive. Supermarkets here have been a nightmare - queuing up for car park spaces - horrendous :(

    I love Hardy too :) I started re-reading his books earlier this year when we went to Dorset. I studied Tess for "A" Level and its one of my all time favourite books. Like CT I love Jane Austen and Pride and Prejudice is probably number 1 in my top ten of fave books :) At the minute I am trying (but losing!!) to read PD James's novel Death Comes to Pemberley before its on TV on Boxing Day. I would much rather read the book then see it on tv than the other way round :)

    Have a lovely Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, you know the collages are so easy with Picassa. It almost does everything for you-it's free too.
      At the vets on Monday a woman told me how when queuing for petrol someone pushed in in front of her-she was furious and got out to tell them how rude they were-she said they were just so rude and haughty.....!
      Reading Tess now, I try like you not to watch them on TV as it takes something away from your own view of things. I love Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights-my all time favourite-have never watched the films as I'm sure it would spoil it for me. Thank goodness I got my new glasses before my op as my eyes would be too tired to do all this sitting and reading without them.

      Delete
  7. Merry Christmas (from the perspective of Boxing Day!!) I love Hardy too - have his novels his poems and a couple of dozen biographies/critiques of his works. Tess is my favourite of his books and possibly one of my favourite books ever, though I want to give Angel a good shaking. If you ever go into Stinsford Church (Hardy's heart is buried in the churchyard, along with all of Emma, and with Cecil Day Lewis nearby), go inside the little church and you will find a plaque on the wall to an Angel someoneorother, so that's where he got the name.

    Dartington Christmas Market looked wonderful. Carmarthen is somewhat pathetic in that respect!

    Batten down the hatches for another rerun of the gales and torrential rain tomorrow.

    Loved your tree btw, we used to get ours from a Christmas tree farm too. This year's came from the greengrocery warehouse on the edge of town, but has lots of skirts and is an improvement on last year's gappy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just got to the part where Tess meets Angel in the dairy! Can't wait to go to Dorchester, to visit the house and church and take a look around Dorchester town too. It's not too far from here.
      More strong winds and rain to come on Sunday night and into Monday morning-so fed up with it but at least we have power and are not flooded.

      Delete
  8. Hope you had a lovely Christmas!

    http://thisdaytodaylife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.