Sunday, 8 December 2013

Dartmouth By Candlelight

Two days of Christmas festivities at Dartmouth seemed to go very well, helped by lovely weather. Dartmouth was busy and vibrant and the Royal Avenue Gardens was the centre for the market and lights switch on. 
There were plenty of stalls selling all sorts of items. We were very tempted by one selling mulled cider and you could get a shot of brandy in it too...I thought it would be wonderful but perhaps far too alcoholic to continue taking photos and walking upright.

The Christmas Market getting busy

A few of the Christmas stalls in the market
 




Pretty shops (even the fish and chip shop looks beautiful)
 









Dartmouth Market after the lights switch on









 One of the prettiest streets in Dartmouth


A view of Dartmouth from the ferry as we leave to go home





Dartmouth with The Britannia Royal Naval College lit up in the background


We had a lovely evening and great meal at Kendricks.  I was not able to go to the candlelight procession on Saturday and in truth was a little disappointed at the Christmas lights. I thought they'd be all along the marina and through the trees, but sadly it was only in the gardens. So really it's not Dartmouth by candlelight, but Dartmouth by Christmas lights-it was still very pretty and I hope you agree.

I hope you have enjoyed this walk around picturesque Dartmouth with me and have been successful in your Christmas preparations so far.
Until next time
SeagullSuzie


20 comments:

  1. Love the lights in the trees :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely evening out but Dartmouth has a lot of trees and not a lot of lights apparently!

      Delete
  2. Oh' swizz !
    I've been done again.... by the title I was expecting REAL candles not electric ones, pooh, pooh etc, etc.
    Good reflections on the river Dart though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know-sorry Mel...I really thought Dartmouth was going to be all lit up with lanterns and a lot more lights. It was their description of the event, not mine and a bit of a con. Still I managed a few nice photos and like the water ones too.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful Suzie, I love the long thin christmas bunting, I think that is my favourite of all your pretty pictures! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. You would love that street, it's always lovely and in summer just bursting with hanging baskets and flower tubs, but the bunting and lights do look so pretty.

      Delete
  4. It does look pretty. I like that last shot too with all the reflections in the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm amazed I managed the last photos so well, I had to squeeze out of the car on the lower ferry and it was moving. Still got quite a few blurred ones!

      Delete
  5. Dartmouth does look very pretty and I love the reflections in the water.
    I'll be making mulled cider here, too - a once-a-year treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how nice-we have never heard of mulled cider. If I hadn't been taking photos, eating at a restaurant and having a little operation the next day, I would have been very tempted by it with a shot of brandy too. Dartmouth always looks pretty doesn't it-just one of those picture perfect places.

      Delete
  6. Candles or not, it still was a lovely trip to Dartmouth!! Thank you!! I loved the picture of the Naval College lit up!! So different from when we passed it on the boat trip to Totnes in the summer!!!
    No.2 son and I are going to Bath Christmas market on Thursday, all being well! Am hoping he may offer to drive so I can have a Winter Pimms!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the evening trip, I would have liked more lights and candles-but I think it's very expensive to provide lights for towns, so maybe that's why. Hope you had a lovely time in Bath and managed to get a winter Pimms too.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I think the Americans do Christmas lights and decorations better than we do.

      Delete
  8. My daughter served mulled cider (for the non-drivers anyway!) at her Crafternoon yesterday. I think she finished it off last night!!

    What lovely pictures - I loved the lights in the prettiest street in Dartmouth, and the reflections in the water were marvellous. Nearly as good as being there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where have I been...missing out on this mulled cider lark... I don't understand! Delighted to hear you liked the photos-they came out quite well especially from the ferry, thank goodness for vibration reduction on the lens.

      Delete
  9. The Dartmouth Lights look lovely. Thanks so much for sharing. I love the photo of the boats with the Christmassy reflections in the water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, one of the boats all lit up is the Dartmouth Higher Ferry (that's the much bigger posh one)-they have really brightened it up-well done them.

      Delete
  10. Dartmouth looks so lovely in the dark. It doesn't look too crowded either. Thank you for taking us along too.
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, the shop keepers said it was expected to be much busier on the Saturday, and it wasn't too bad on Friday which I have to say meant walking around and taking photos much easier. Dartmouth seems to always look lovely.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.