Sunday, 16 February 2014

Assortment of Birds in Brixham Today


Today we took a walk along the coastal path towards Berry Head, and then down along Breakwater Beach and Brixham Marina. The weather was wonderful after a chilly start.



I was not expecting to capture this poor Buzzard being mobbed by the Herring Gulls. So it caught me by surprise and I was not quite ready with the new camera. The photos are a little blurred when enlarged sadly, but It's the best I've got.


A little further along we saw a pair of Fulmars flying and displaying but only just managed to catch one of them on camera, the rest of the photos were of rocks and sea as I just missed them! Again it's not a very crisp image. I think I need to look at the settings on the camera to make sure I'm using the best image quality.


Further along again Hubby spotted the seal, very far away, so this is not bad.



A beautiful Jackdaw looking out to sea


I'm trying out the scenic option on the new camera and It's quite a nice image, it also does panoramic, but try as hard as I could I just couldn't find it in the menu.

A few of the birds we saw along the way





I tried so hard to capture this Robin hopping about in the undergrowth, but it's so beautifully camouflaged here amongst the winter twigs and branches, that I lost it when it moved. Still it's the first clear image of a bird I've managed with the new camera!!


Some lovely marina birds



A pretty little Turnstone


You can see the dark glossy green plumage just showing and the crest on these Shags heads as they must be preparing to breed.



One of the pontoons is not open to the public so an assortment of birds gather here for a rest. I love the way the three are lined up with their heads tucked in.


....and the Great Northern Divers are still about in the marina


This morning a lovely Small Tortoiseshell landed in the garden and warmed itself for a few minutes, so I was able to go in and get the camera, half expecting it to be gone, but it was still there. 

All of the following photos have been taken with the Nikon 200mm lens and I can really see a difference in the quality of the images. Of course I'm so used to the Nikon that I can change the settings quickly to get the best image, so it's probably not a fair comparison just yet.


This beautiful and huge Bumble Bee was feeding on the heathers at the same time and I even had a Honey Bee land on my hand whilst I was taking these two photos.


A few cheery flowers are starting to appear in the garden at last




Well it was so nice to have a break from all the wind and rain. Brixham was busy with people out and about, feeling exactly the same as us no doubt. Hubby and I stopped at the Breakwater Cafe and Bistro and got a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea to take out. We sat on the beach eating our lunch looking out to sea, it was just perfect.

Hope you all have a good week ahead of you.
SeagullSuzie


26 comments:

  1. You captured so much wildlife on your walk this morning! We also saw a tortoiseshell in the garden this afternoon.It was definitely a day to get out and about! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a lovely 3hr walk and I suppose there was a lot of wildlife about-like us humans they were probably very happy for some fine weather. Seems like the tortoiseshell is one of the first out.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful photos. So glad you, or the birds haven't been blown away!! Still recovering from Friday night, and I don't mean a trip to the pub!!! Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures and to prove the sun is out there somewhere!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes Friday night was a bad one, but we're all still here, I drank some wine, locked up the conservatory and hoped for the best. We had a lot of flooding on Friday daytime and Hubby managed to get home ok even with lots of roads blocked. It was so lovely to enjoy some sunshine.

      Delete
  3. I do love the seal.
    You're doing great. It will take you a while to get used to the new camera, don't rush it. All of a sudden it will 'click'!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We see seals a lot here, but the camera (or should I say I) managed to catch it from quite a distance. Love to see them when we go out. Not long after we moved here we bought fish and chips and sat in the car at the Breakwater car park looking out to sea, and a seal appeared right in front of us...it was magical.
      Yes, you are right, although it's frustrating I just need to try out the camera more and practice with the zoom.

      Delete
  4. Those photos are gorgeous
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie, it was a lovely walk and my husband is very patient!

      Delete
  5. You had some interesting wildlife sightings on this walk, Suzie and took some lovely photos of them, too. The Turnstone is such a pretty bird and it's wonderful to see the Diver again. I haven't seen a butterfly this year, I thought I might just see one yesterday but no luck. I love the bumblebee on the heather as well. The spring flowers look beautiful in the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, we have quite a lot of Turnstones here all year round and they are very pretty little things, often spotted running around the tourists feet, they are even interested in fish and chips! Saw another bee today.

      Delete
  6. Your photos are looking beautiful Suzie, and I am sure that as you use it more you will get the hang of it more and changing from one setting to another. It is lovely to see so many different birds! Hope that you have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I have read the manual now.....and bought a user friendly book, so have made some adjustments and switched things on that were off...so maybe I'll get some better pics.

      Delete
  7. You'll soon get used to the settings on your new camera - but the photos are great :) Lovely to see the Small Tortoiseshell and bee :) I haven't seen either yet this year but did spot a Drone Fly in the garden yesterday which made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow winter with it's dark nights and empty gardens, doesn't seem so bad now, flowers, bees and butterflies-Isn't it amazing how quickly they come out.

      Delete
  8. How fantastic to see bees and butterflies Suze- gives me hope that Spring is really coming now. So pleased you managed to see some birds as well- I know they've been a bit absent in your garden so hope the walk made up for it. Good luck with the new camera- they are so clever these days I guess it takes time to get used to them. CT x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT, I see plenty out with my dog and even stopped to talk to a little wren who was very close by, but I did have a blue tit in the garden this morning-and produced one fuzzy picture!

      Delete
  9. I saw a butterfly out on the moor too! So shocking. I like your Turnstone best. Such a beautiful bird. Love the seal too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, I'm determined to take more photos of our sea birds and get to know them a little better. I used to know all the woodland/garden birds by call and saw them all around me where we lived before. Maybe I should just concentrate on what I've got a lot of, instead of wishing for what I don't have...and I do love all this wonderful nature around me and feel very lucky.

      Delete
  10. I love each and everyone of your photos Suzie, a fantastic selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, we saw quite a lot of creatures, something you don't realise until you put them all together.

      Delete
  11. We had two overwintering Tortoiseshells making a bid for freedom this morning. One disappeared behind the bookcase, but the other one was battering at the window, so I let him out.

    Lovely photos, and I am sure the new camera will just suddenly click and all will make sense. The bee one has SUCH clarity. My camera can't compete . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how lovely, I hope the escapee finds a nice safe place to rest until the sun comes out. With my new user guide I now know I didn't have all the right things switched on and didn't understand the screen messages-and there are a lot of them!
      Ah but the bee was taken with my wonderful Nikon camera!

      Delete
  12. Great photos, still waiting for the flowers to bloom here! I sometimes see Red Kites and gulls flying together here, it seems like they are playing together and calling to each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to see such wonderful birds, the buzzards and gulls here definitely don't get on and our poor buzzards can't go for a cruise on a sunny day without a right old mid-air punch up-even the brave and feisty crows join in.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful photos. I love the buzzard with wings outstretched against a blue sky.

    I saw two bumble bees today, so that`s a good sign. They love the heather flowers and crocuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Another beautiful day today and quite a few bumble bees on the early flowers. I hope to get some better images of the buzzards as they are often about

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.