Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Berry Head view from the sea and other things

On a boat trip last year we went around Berry Head land mass wildlife spotting-although we didn't see anything, but hopefully these images will show you Berry Head from the bottom up.


The south face of Berry Head where the Soay Sheep decided to stay for most of the summer to keep away from the uncontrolled dogs and their irresponsible owners.


The very end of Berry Head


You can see the extent of the quarrying in the picture above and below


This is the best image I have been able to get of the beautiful Shoalstone Pool in Brixham. Sadly there are fools at Torbay Council who just can't see the beauty in this place and it is constantly under threat of closure. What are they thinking of?


A couple of beautiful sunrises recently and these were hurriedly taken from the bedroom window.



A wonderful present, Ewean the sheep. I need to treat him with wood protection and then I can't wait to place him in the grass when the weather picks up. He is quite big and very heavy.


And now for some more macro photos.....I turned around on the sunny decking this weekend and this little bee was just behind me. It took a few goes to get him all in focus, but I got there in the end.


An evil looking fly which I found resting on a plant leaf


A couple of shells close up



More macro photos with the pets....poor things! I know I don't normally post about my pets but here they are.
I really like this one, as black cats are very difficult to photograph.


Whose ear is this...?

The very handsome Griffin of course, which Em from Dartmoor Ramblings sketched for me recently. Griffin is very happy to have his photo taken any time. I think the macro lens adds a softness to these portraits, none of these have been adjusted, just a light crop.


And last but by no means least, my dog having a nap in the sunshine.....a good excuse not to do the vacuuming!


Well the birthday has arrived and my new camera is next to me, so am just setting it up, although I wont have time to do much with it today. Have had a lovely walk along the marina with hubby and the dog and a walk along Breakwater Beach. Just got back for a cuppa and a pastry...yummy.

Thank you for all you kind comments on my new lens photos and birthday wishes, and hello to some new followers and visitors from all over the place. Thank you very much for stopping by. I will catch up on everyone's recent posts soon.

Hopefully my next post will have some wildlife images with the new bridge camera, there are so many sea birds about at the moment, I can't wait to catch them up close.

Have a lovely week
SeagullSuzie

22 comments:

  1. Suzie, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! Just love Ewean the sheep – what a great present and I can see why you want to protect it :-) I would imagine him to be pretty heavy too.

    Loving those micro lens shots too – although I shiver a tad at close ups of insects when I try basic zoom lens shots myself, when you get good micro shots like yours you can see the beauty of insects and all simple objects too. Barry head looks a good spot for wildlife too - with a different lens.

    Have a brilliant day…. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU ))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley. I would have liked more sheep but they were a tad expensive-3 would be brilliant! It's strange that you don't notice how close you are with the macro until you download the images.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday and enjoy that camera....very envious! That one of Griffin looking like a cat model is fantastic, as are the two insect ones - really beautiful. As for 'the dog', so stunning in the sunshine. I just wish we had some. I'm about to strike out with the dogs to fetch Trigger and the waterproofs are going on. Only three months left for me and the big birthday. I can't wait for it to be over! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. Griffin is gorgeous and always ready for a photo shoot! We have just had a lovely morning in the sunshine, but the bad weather is coming back for us both I fear.

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday, Suzie! You've taken some stunning photos, the animals are wonderful and of course the little bee is fabulous! Lovely photos of Berry Head and the coast, too. It is fascinating to see the view from the sea.
    I love Ewean - he looks a bit like one of my Suffolks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy, I was delighted to see the bee and even more delighted that I managed one image of it in focus. The cliffs are perfect for our guillemot colony, gulls of all types, we get gannets and fulmars all along that side of Berry Head.
      I think Ewean is a pretty good sheep look alike, he makes me smile every time I see him.

      Delete
  4. A belated Happy Birthday! Was the macro lens a birthday present?

    Your photographs are stunning. I love the macro insects, your beautiful Griffin and the abstract of the sunlight on his ear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, no the macro lens was for xmas but the weather has been so bad I've hardly been able to try it out. I love the light on Griffins ear too, he's a patient and very happy pet and so makes a very good model.

      Delete
  5. So glad you had a good birthday! Lucky you to get a walk in without the rain! Blowing and absolute Hooley here now - again!! Spent last weekend in Brighton, the wind there was atrocious!! You could hardly stand up, then it rained of course!! Have to say, the drive back on Sunday, in the sunshine, was lovely, but my heart still belongs further west!!!!! Your pictures are pretty good!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. We were lucky with the mornings weather, of course it changed over the day and then was terrible overnight as we were driving back from Bristol.

      Delete
  6. Ewean is adorable!! He will look great stood out in the summer on your lawn I am sure. Shame that he won't actually eat the grass and save on the mowing! Your macro shots are amazing, especially the shell close ups. Happy Birthday, I hope that you and the camera have lots of fun! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. I remember as a kid I used to believe my toys would come to life when I was asleep, maybe I can hope the same for Ewean.....must go out and check if the grass has been munched!!!

      Delete
  7. More brilliant macro shots and I just love Ewean!!
    Happy birthday.
    I hope you're OK tonight in Brixham, storm is pretty bad here. Lights flickering madly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, yes terrible weather arrived later on Tuesday, but our house and garden is ok, but lots of damage elsewhere. I think it would be brilliant to have a few more wooden animals, some cows, chickens and a donkey or two!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday. Love the photos
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I think a trip to Berry Head will be brilliant with the macro lens in the summer.

      Delete
  9. Happy Birthday for yesterday - I hope you had a wonderful day and can't wait to see shots with your new camera :)

    Some beautiful photos in your post - love the sunrise and macro shots :) Your pets are adorable :)

    Hope your inlay has settled down. My tooth seems fine (think the aching was caused by a bad cold and sinusitis I had!) - thanks for asking :) My daughter starts the deep root filling treatment next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had a lovely day and the concert in Bristol was brilliant. I think even the pets are fed up with the rain and wind, although the dog will go out in any weather.
      Yes, the inlay is settling down-but still a little tender, glad your tooth is ok, I really don't like the sound of a deep root filling....I'm not sure I'd be very brave at the dentist.

      Delete
  10. Sorry also meant to stay hope you are ok with horrendous overnight storms down in the south-west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for asking-the weather was truly terrible overnight, so much flooding, trees down, ferries cancelled and the train line to Exeter is seriously damaged at Dawlish. Winds at Berry Head recorded 74 mph this morning. Our house and garden are ok, but it is very worrying. The amount of severe storms and the frequency of them means we hardly recover and dry out from one when the next arrives. I do wonder how much more we can take before we get some damage to our properties up here.

      Delete
  11. A belated Happy Birthday! Your macro's are brilliant Suzie, loved all your photos. I was sorry to hear about that awful weather and the damage it caused. Hope it improves soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I can't wait to get some insects to photograph this summer-just imagine what a ladybird would look like or some of the wonderful bumble bees that we have through the macro lens-I'd better get snapping!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.