Monday, 10 March 2014

Paignton Zoo

With the house feeling so quiet we decided to go off to Paignton Zoo for a few hours. It's a beautiful place, the grounds alone are packed with an amazing variety of plants and trees. In the summer the botanical gardens are worth a visit just on their own.  

We started off in the the aviary where some garden birds have settled in well.



The ducks were mostly resting as it was not warm and sunny




The best I could get, a handsome creature having a mid morning snooze


.....and the not so handsome!


The gardens at Paignton Zoo are beautiful even in winter


Orang Utan mum with new baby

Seagulls taking advantage of feeding time with the Collared Peccary


We've just woken up (two Capybara) warming up against the brick wall


Around the lake in the Wetlands area






The wonderful gibbons, who live freely on Gibbon Island. They have the most wonderful calls, which can be heard all over the zoo.


The latest addition. A new female Rothschild's giraffe born on 25th January and staying close to mum. Last year a male calf was born in August but sadly died.


Some lovely birds to finish off in the Wetlands area







There were plenty of animals that were not out as it was a little bit cold on the day of our visit. The monkeys in particular were staying warm inside.

Thank you all for you kind comments on my last post and I think I've caught up with all your posts over the last week or so. Hello and welcome to some new followers Maribel, and Jane and Lance. 

I'm off to London with work again this week. The journey will be an hour longer than normal due to the damaged railway line at Dawlish, so that means 4 hours from Paignton to Paddington, with a bus journey added on. I will leave the house at 05.40hrs and get back home at around 21.15hrs. Such a long day, but my hubby will drop me at the station and be there to pick me up which is nice.

I hope you are all getting some of the lovely sunshine that's about in the UK at the moment. We have just had four beautiful days with sunshine and a little mist and haze over the sea. The garden has been full of bees, butterflies and ladybirds and the seagulls are busy reinforcing their territories and bonding with their mates.

Have a good week ahead
SeagullSuzie

20 comments:

  1. It looks like the animals have plenty of space, which is good to see.
    Hasn't the weather been wonderful? At least they are pulling out all the stops to get the railway fixed. A huge amount of disruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, yes the animals do have a lovely environment. I found out that this zoo was the first to remove bars and create more animal friendly and visitor friendly enclosures. It's had time to mature into a wonderful place for all.

      Delete
  2. Love the photos of the animals and birds. The last time I visited Paignton Zoo was when my son was seven and we were visiting my parents. It was a lovely place back then. He is 36 now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, I'm sure it's changed for the better since then. It really is beautiful, so many mature trees and lots of garden and woodland birds in the grounds too.

      Delete
  3. I hope that your day in London goes alright and that the journey isn't too awful. Your pictures are amazing, especially the little baby giraffe!! She is so cute it is unbelievable! Hope that you have a good week. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy, I saw the baby giraffe when she was just a week old and was still a little wobbly on those extra long legs. I am so tired from my London trip, it was a long day but looking forward to a restful Sunday with hubby today.

      Delete
  4. Hello Suzie,
    The grounds at Paignton Zoo are certainly very extensive. Such variety of habitats for the animals who all look well cared for. This is a wonderful resource for you to have on the doorstep, so good to be able to while away happy and restful hours there.

    The baby giraffe is simply adorable. We must hope that this one will survive and live a full and long life.

    Thank you for your welcome. We shall look forward to your popping in on us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello to you both. The zoo is a 15 minute drive away and we are members, which is a great deal. I would go there every week if I had the time just to see the gardens and flowers. I'm looking forward to the trees in full leaf and the flowers in full bloom...if doesn't seem like it'll be long in the beautiful weather we are currently enjoying.
      The zoo is very well respected and the animals really do have wonderful enclosures. I could and would not go if it reminded me of the zoos of my childhood...which really upset me.....and it was over 20 years before I could go back to see what I hoped had changed in the world of zoos. That was a visit to Chester Zoo, which was wonderful, especially the bat barn which was full of free flying bats and something I have never forgotten.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos of the birds and animals. I would love to visit the botannical gardens, I always make a bee-line for those!
    I image the disruption caused by the damaged rail line is really frustrating. I hope it doesn't make your journey too difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Wendy, the journey was very very long but well organised and went smoothly thanks. I will make many more visits to this zoo as the gardens are beautiful in summer. They organise garden visits, discussing the plants, which have been collected from around the world.

      Delete
  6. I did enjoy all these wonderful animals and birds. Paignton Zoo seems to be doing a good conservation job with the giraffes and the orangutans. You must have felt rested and ready to face another week after this visit.

    Hoping that your London journeys go as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, the London trip went well, but I still feel so tired. There are plenty of monkeys at the zoo and they are so comical to watch, but as the weather was cold they stayed inside. I was very lucky to catch the orangutan mother with her baby outside like that.

      Delete
  7. Looks like you had a wonderful day out - some lovely photos - I love the baby giraffe and pelican :) The Botanical Gardens look beautiful - by coincidence I visited those in Birmingham this afternoon (I hadn't been for years!).

    Hope the day in London isn't too tiring and hope they get the damaged line fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you we did have a lovely time. They are working very hard on the vital train line and this good weather had helped them along. I have yet to take you to Living Coasts which is part of Paignton Zoo, and full of wonderful birds and marine life.

      Delete
  8. What fantastic pics....the lion is the best though - I just love it. We were in Paignton on Saturday visiting M's dad. The zoo is definitely the best bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Paignton does not get a lot of investment, but the zoo is a real winner. I like the lion photo too, with the super zoom on the new camera I was able to get up close.

      Delete
  9. Loved that pic of the lioness and the pelican (?). Sending you coping thoughts for your very long London day- roll on the weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT. Although the journey went without a hitch, it was a very long day and takes a while to recover from. Normally the lake is full of birds but it was a little quiet during our visit, however the pelicans were showing off and I'm pleased with these shots.

      Delete
  10. I do enjoy a zoo garden! These photos are great, Suzie - and some of them are hilarious and should by rights be on the front of birthday cards. I'm sorry you're struggling with the trains at the moment - hooray for your chauffeur husband. Good man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I can't wait to go back in spring and photograph the gardens.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.