Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Berry Head Walk and in a Panic

We'll start with the good stuff, a lovely evening walk with hubby to Berry Head along the South West Coastal Path.

White Rock-rose a nationally rare species which thrives on the slopes at Berry Head


A Robin chick...oh so cute...everybody say ah!


Butterflies Galore.....

A female Orange Tip I think, as you can just about see the colourful underside.


Small Copper

 

A Wall Brown
 

The Meadow looking beautiful. Learning more about the camera I have changed the setting to get a better depth of field on these next shots.




Plants on the cliff edge





Hubby spotted The Fairmile returning from a trip to Dartmouth and Slapton Sands


The wonderful capabilities of the zoom, same boat (yes the little dot above the rocks) in the photo below, just zoomed out to wide angle to get a scenic image.



Kayaking  a perfect day for it


The start of Berry Head from the edge of the coastal path. It was about 5.30pm and hardly anyone was there. A rare opportunity to get a photo without people and dogs.


Fishing boat coming around Berry Head, way in the distance


This little butterfly just caught my eye in the grass as we walked along. A Common Blue I think.



Large area of wild grass on Berry Head again, no people in the shot hurrah!


A first try at the panorama mode with Torquay in the distance


The same fishing boat, now coming into Torbay and the gulls are still following


The very end of Berry Head and the lighthouse building...look at that blue sky!


 Another panorama


A lovely bright boat coming around Berry Head just before we returned home


Hope you all enjoyed the walk. Now for the reason I'm in a panic. We have sold our house and have been busy looking for a new place to live in the local area. We can't find anywhere we like. We can't find anyone who will rent to us because we have four cats.......there now.....do you see why I'm in a panic, can't sleep, feel sick?

I'm genuinely sorry for not keeping up with my posts and especially for just not having the time to look at your posts and comment at the moment. It's hectic, so I might be a little quiet in blog land over the next few weeks.

Whilst I'm on the subject of stressful things I note with a heavy heart that bird issues are in the news at the moment. The go ahead to cull gulls at the Ribble Estuary makes me sad. Natural England has made a case for allowing the destruction of some birds nests and eggs (robins, pied wagtails and starlings). Along with the badger culls, I hold my head in shame as a member of the human race!

Until next time
Take care all
SeagullSuzie



23 comments:

  1. We saw rock rose in Torquay while we were in Dartmoor- beautiful flowers. I LOVE the robin- haven't seen any robin smalls here yet. Super shots of the coast and WOW! re moving- you kept that one quiet. Huge good luck in finding the right next house, please don't move too far from the sea- I rely on you for my weekly dose of it! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CT. I feel like I need days to be 48 hours long at the moment and I've got a lot on at work too. We hope to stay in the area, we would miss the sea and the gulls too much.

      Delete
  2. Those are wonderful images from your new camera and it the walk must have taken your mind off your problem for a few moments at least. I hope that you will find a new home soon. Buying and selling houses can be so stressful, especially when you can't find anything that you love. I hope that you will find a new home soon, I'll keep my fingers crossed that something suddenly turns up. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Sarah, wow it's stressful, and not helped at all when it's so difficult to rent with pets. We saw a lovely house this morning, so we'll see what happens.

      Delete
  3. You really are working magic with that camera. The shots around Berry Head and on the cliff tops are fabulous. And that baby robin... ahhhh!! Best of luck with the house hunting, it's difficult enough without that sort of pressure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. Yes I feel a lot better with the camera now, it really is great for wildlife with the zoom. This house hunting lark is so time consuming!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for another lovely virtual walk
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it, it's about all I've time for at the moment, but it helps relax me.

      Delete
  5. I can imagine how anxious you must feel, but things often resolves themselves for the best, although that doesn't help you at this particular moment.
    It was really interesting to see the wonderful capabilities of your new camera, what a great zoom.
    Lovely photos of the coast, the plants, and the wildlife, but very sad to learn that Natural England is culling birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary. Yes I fear Natural England is in the pocket of the politicians now-so they will bow to any political pressure.
      The new camera is everything I hoped it would be-I just needed time to adjust to it, but the zoom produces great quality close ups if you are not too far away from the subject.
      My friend asked what we were going to do....and I just replied......keep drinking the wine!!!!!

      Delete
  6. You really have got the hang of the new camera Suzie - such wonderful shots. I felt as though I was there with you. Lovely to see a Wall butterfly too - they are extinct in Warwickshire and I haven't seen one for years.

    I really do hope you manage to find a house you like soon - buying and moving houses is so very stressful.

    I so agree with everything you say in your last paragraph about culling - I just totally despair at times :(

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind comments, I am so enjoying the abilities of this camera and it's just so light when out walking. The great thing about blogging is the ability to share wildlife in our own areas, it's always good to see something new. I'm really enjoying all the moths and butterflies people have been posting recently.
      I always feel culling is a terrible thing to do....we are intelligent and should find a better way!

      Delete
  7. Fabulous shots as always, those coast scenes and the stunning blue skies are just gorgeous :-) Also interesting to see the White Rock-rose, a plant I had never heard of until reading your blog :-)

    I really hope you manage to find a new home or rental property soon, I can certainly imagine how stressful things must be at the moment :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I did enjoy the walk and the blue skies were so uplifting. The cliff edges are covered in white rock rose and I try very heard not to trample on them and all the other little flowers and plants that are coming through so well at the moment.
      It really is stressful-without the cats it would be so easy. Rents are very high here, the cost of putting furniture into storage is about £50 per week and if the cats went into a cattery (which is not going to happen) they would cost about £100 per week. So we'll need to find somewhere we can all fit in to save money...and is pet friendly...oh the stress of it all.

      Delete
  8. I hope that you will find somewhere soon as your new home, keep going and it will probably pop up in the most unexpected way. Your butterfly pictures are fabulous, it is so nice to be able to see them in such detail. I never seem to manage to creep up on butterflies and other insects so it is great to be able to see yours! Take care there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Amy. Sorry I'm so late in replying, just trying to catch up a little and it's already gone 4pm. We did get to see a lovely house and garden this morning so you never know.
      It seems you can't creep up on butterflies, so the zoom is essential, I'm so glad I'm getting the hang of this camera now.

      Delete
  9. Beautiful pictures! Especially as I love looking at the sea and I am land-locked!!! Hope you soon find the right home. So sad to hear about the bird cull. Kindest regards X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, we do feel very very lucky to live here. We've been busy doing viewings, looking for rentals and having a big clear out, we must downsize...we must downsize!

      Delete
  10. Such a wonderful post from you, apart from the sad ending. I don't understand the culling, so sad!!
    I can appreciate you feeling sick about the move, now I've read your post. Fingers crossed that things turn out well for you soon. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. We are busy viewing houses and chasing up potential rentals too. Also clearing out the house a bit more in preparation for a downsize...oh it's not easy!

      Delete
  11. What lovely photos. I've just seen a news report about a fire in Brixham.... no details yet but I hope you're okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Em, many thanks, we're ok. The old holiday park is near but not so close as to concern us. It is going to be developed into housing and camping as well as recreational areas, but it's a long time in the planning due to the bats and the coastal path.

      Delete
  12. Hope you have managed to find somewhere to live. Iv'e been thinking of you. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.