Sunday, 11 May 2014

Last Days of April in Warm Sunshine

April flew by and now it's already May 11th. I don't know where the time is going, or what exactly I'm spending my time doing, maybe it's an age thing!

I went for a walk along the coastal path at the end of April as the weather was beautifully warm and still and I knew I'd have a chance of catching some butterflies on camera.

 
This lovely Robin stopped and posed for me then ran along the fence as I walked alongside. The Panasonic Lumix doing a great job here.


A Speckled Wood

I managed to capture these butterflies along the paths. Sadly I just couldn't get a photo of the many Orange Tips that were fluttering about all around me.


Small Tortoiseshell


A Small White

I think the butterflies below are Small Blues, rather than the Holly Blue, as they were tiny....but you'll have to let me know. I'm afraid they were rather busy when I caught them on camera!


Another little creature who was inching along dangerously on the bare path, just waiting to be trampled on by the many feet and paws of visitors to the area.


Is this an Oak Eggar or a Drinker or neither? I need your expert help as always.


A Greenfinch perched on top of the flowering stems of the hedgerow


A bee feeding with a great blue sea behind


One of the lovely meadows, where people are not allowed to trample about in. This one is the favourite hunting grounds of our buzzards.


I love this patch of daisy like flowers clinging onto the cliffs. They are not small, so I was thinking they must be Sea Mayweed.

After finding a moth to photograph, I took a quick tour around the garden with the Nikon and macro lens to see what else was about. 


I have looked in my Collins Guide but cannot ID this one as there are a number of moths that look very similar...so I need a little help from my moth bloggers.


Bellis Perennis up close


A few bees foraging


I never noticed before, how delicate and papery the seeds were on this plantain.


Plenty of these spiders in the flower beds, they seem to love being in the sun and run about on the big leaves of the Japanese Anemone.


For all of you who like butterflies, Butterfly Conservation have a great website here's the link to the latest news and their blog. It's a nice easy to navigate and colourful website.

Last weekend we went off to see the Rolling Clones at the Square and Compass near Ilminster. The band are excellent and so entertaining, so if they are playing at a venue near you, I would wholeheartedly recommend you go. We smiled and laughed and sang along the whole night.

Wishing you all a safe and happy week ahead
Until next time
SeagullSuzie

26 comments:

  1. Superb images SS and a thoroughly enjoyable catch up with all that has been going on down in your beautiful part of the world. Sea Mayweed is one of my favorite coastal flowers and they adorn the cliffs at Bempton at this time of year too, and it wonderful to see all the butterflies in this post. I'm afraid I can't help as regards the Holly/Small Blues as I am not familiar with Small Blues up here, but I think the moth is a Knot Grass... maybe. Love the Nursery Web Spider too :-)

    Hope you are well and kindest regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. We've enjoyed some very still weather and the warmth has arrived so everything is moving on at a great pace here and I'm falling behind!

      Delete
  2. Hello:

    These are amazing images demonstrating as they do not only your good eye for a subject but also your very close observation of Nature.

    What a wonderful time of year this is which, as you will understand, is more difficult to appreciate in the heart of a city. But this post in itself is an inspiration to be out in the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you both for your kind comments. It is a wonderful time of year as you say, so much to be enjoyed and new life at every turn. I never get tired of the coastal path walk as there is always something new happening.

      Delete
  3. It's definitely an age thing! Some beautiful shots here. I just love the daisies and the bee. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Em. I feel I'm getting better results from the new camera the more I use it and it is so good for wildlife...which was the whole point of it.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful pics
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Julie, it's another sunny day here so I might get out again, only we are having to share the path with the tourists now, and they can get in the way of the camera and the subject :)

      Delete
  5. Some lovely photos of the natural world around you Suzie - so closely and beautifully observed. I love the photo of the plantain, it looks positively exotic under the macro lens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I had never taken much notice of a plantain, but thought it was quite beautiful too.

      Delete
  6. OMG WOW!!! You have some amazing shots there. I love the way that you don't take just normal photos, they are of unusual things and captured in such a beautiful way. Love it! Thank you for showing us these. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Amy, I'm very glad you enjoyed them. Me and the camera are getting along better and it seems to be doing exactly what I wanted it to do...take good pictures of wildlife.

      Delete
  7. Mmm think its an age thing!!! Gorgeous photos from both cameras - love the daisies on the cliff :) I think the butterfly is Holly Blue (upper wings on Small Blue are different) but having said that Small Blues are very rare round here so not seen many!!! I agree with David that the moth is Knot Grass. Not sure about the caterpillar - if I find it in a book will let you know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the ID on the moth. I do enjoy using both cameras and the macro lens is fun. Found many more of these caterpillars on the path on Thursday evening!

      Delete
  8. You have some beautiful places to walk where you are, Suzie. I love the daisies on the cliff, too and the butterflies and bees. The little Robin in gorgeous, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Wendy. I was very pleased with the robin photo too.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Oh thank you, hopefully I'll have many more to share if this glorious weather keeps up.

      Delete
  10. I agree re age and time just disappearing :-)

    I think the pillar may be an Oak Eggar, but I'm not 100% sure, Don't think it's a Drinker.

    Agree with Caroline and David: Knot Grass for the moth. Lovely clear photo of it.

    Super photos- really enjoyed them x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CT. There are lots of these about at the moment and I hope to get a walk again today and see what else is about, as it's perfect butterfly weather.

      Delete
  11. Brilliant photos - you must love your new camera and it certainly looks like you have got to grips with it now. I really enjoyed seeing all the wildlife. My favourite picture was the Sea Mayweed.

    Tamzin (eldest daughter) is coming down in a fortnight and wants to go to the seaside (and a castle) so we may go to Manorbier, and I am hoping to find a few butterflies. The garden here is humming with bees, but few butterflies yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your kind comments on the photos. Today is perfect butterfly weather, but agree with you that we've had a few days with almost none. The bees are very busy on the flowers of my Torbay Palm.

      Delete
  12. Hi Suzie, Your wildlife pictures are so good! How do you manage to get butterflies to open their wings the always shut them around here when they land on the plants? The daisy image is so unusual but captures them so well! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, maybe it's the cameras ability at not getting too close so they don't close up. I was very happy with the daisy photo too, I just saw them and hoped it would make a good image and then really hoped it wasn't blurred!

      Delete
  13. Hi Suzie, these are the greatest nature photos, I would never be able to pick a favorite. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise. I love going out and seeing what's around to photograph, you never know what you're going to get until you download them though.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.