Wednesday, 20 August 2014

Paignton Zoo Visit

Paignton Zoo has fabulous animal enclosures

 I'm not a fan of cages or visiting a zoo to stare at animals for my entertainment, however the enclosures here seem to me as good as it gets and that's why I am a member. We go back regularly to support the zoo and enjoy a walk around the beautiful gardens.




 The Lemurs are released at various times of the day out into Lemur Wood, it's a fantastic and very large enclosure. Above you can see them walking along the rope bridge mixing with us humans using their beautiful tails to balance. 
One or two jumped down from the trees right next to us. It was great fun.


I have difficulty with the owls always wishing their enclosures were bigger, but they are in a heavily wooded area which is nice and quiet and they have room to fly about with trees. You can just make out the netting which covers the trees and encloses them. I saw this beautiful bird awake and managed to get a photo through the netting.



The lions were on the prowl


The gardens are coming along nicely and this is a huge bank of wildflowers opposite the giant tortoise enclosure.

I appreciate I haven't got anything in the photo to give you a perspective of the size of these wonderful creatures and this looks like it could be a small domestic tortoise. This beast is over 1m long, high and wide and their enclosure is just wonderful.


 Some of the beautiful ferns on the way to the reptile house. Look away if you don't like snakes!

 I'm awake
 ssssoooo am I
 Snake skin having been shed

 Guarding her eggs which you should just about make out in the photo below. This crocodile is about the size of a sofa!



The orangutans Mali and baby Tatau


 Sir David Attenborough was filming at Paignton Zoo for a day for the third series of Attenborough's Natural Curiosities. The zoo has an excellent enclosure for orangutans. 
You can read more about the story here

I loved our day out at the zoo. It was so nice to get away from all our house hunting and enjoy taking photos again. We ate ice-cream, sat and watched the animals and walked around for a couple of hours...just perfect!

I hope you have been able to get out and about too, either on holiday or just to spend a few hours relaxing somewhere close to home

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

14 comments:

  1. Super pics as always. We have Marwell zoo near us. They do a lot of conservation work so I feel OK visiting (although the kids are more or less past zoo visiting age now). I struggle with cages as you do. Loved the owl and the snakes and, well, all of them really! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CT. It really is a great place to visit for everyone, and a great place for the animals in their care. It's part of Whitley Wildlife Conservation Trust who do a lot of good work here in Devon and abroad.

      Delete
  2. I've still to get to Living Coasts and now you've given me another. Like you I hate the old fashioned zoos but this one sounds great, especially if you can get amongst the lemurs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lemurs are very entertaining, there were four or five around on our visit and they just jump about and walk past us humans with such ease. You will also like the bird aviary where they are free flying under a huge netted structure. There are still parts I haven't visited. Gibbon island is completely open so that these animals are free to move about the trees, with no netting or fences, which is lovely.

      Delete
  3. It is definitely good to get out and about when you are in the middle of something like a house hunt as you need some time off to put things into perspective don't you. The lemurs look as though they were having a lot of fun out and about investigating!! The giant tortoises (?) are amazing aren't they, they get so big!! (I know, that is obvious from the name, but you know what I mean I am sure!) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. The giant tortoises have a wonderful enclosure and again it's not fenced or netted-I guess they'd be easy to catch as they don't run too fast..! The trouble with renting is that you get a bit bored, especially when we are away from the sea, as there is no gardening or decorating to do-just trying to keep everything clean and tidy. As much as I like to sit and read I'm naturally someone who has difficulty keeping still for long.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful photos :) Its not easy taking photos of animals in captivity but you've done a great job and they all look so natural :) There's a really interesting article in this month's BBC Wildlife Magazine about Ring-tailed lemur society and the interpretation of smells, displays etc.

    So glad you've had a break from the house hunting - I really do hope you find somewhere suitable really soon. In the meantime enjoy the paperback classics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks-glad you liked the photos, the super zoom helped to get focus through the enclosure structures mostly without affecting the image. I also has a go at taking mini films of the baboons with the Lumix, I need to learn to keep a very steady hand though!

      Delete
  5. What fabulous photos! I am always interested to see the planting as well as the animals at zoos - the gardens never disappoint. I'm pleased you managed an ice cream too - I can't imagine a day out without ice cream and I don't even like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I should have taken more photos of the plants, trees and flowers as they are beautiful but the park was busy, so it wan't too easy this time. They have a beautiful Japanese Maple which has grown really big and its branches twist up to a fantastic canopy, it's on a corner so is beautifully shown off.

      Delete
  6. I'm not a huge fan of zoos but I must admit this one does look good and you've got some great shots here. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, it's a great zoo working hard for the animals it cares for, the local economy and the environment with its beautiful gardens and nature walks along the Clennon Valley.

      Delete
  7. I love your photos from the Paignton Zoo. I took our son when he was about seven. We had such a good time there. I expect it's grown a lot since those days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, I remember you saying that when I did a post before on the zoo. I think it will have developed a lot with more mature trees and gardens, but there is no space around the zoo as it's surrounded by houses (which I would just love to live in), roads and a supermarket! Once inside you forget all that as it covers 80 acres. It's just won an award with TripAdvisor too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.