Thursday, 23 October 2014

South Devon Steam Railway

As part of our day out to the Totnes Rare Breeds Farm we walked along the platform of the South Devon Steam Railway, which is just a short walk from Totnes train station and over the river.

Such a lovely station, and so much more to see and do than I can show in these photographs.


Fantastic old toilet block and inside was like stepping back in time (except for the hand wash and driers). Remember seeing this sign many years ago? I don't but my husband does!


We arrived just as it was opening, so I managed to take quite a few photos with no-one to clutter up the pictures. It was a very dull and cloudy morning.


I think I'd like to go back again and actually get on the train to Buckfast Butterfly Farm (and take a few more photos of course)



This is GWR 3205 and you can find out more by visiting this link. Built in 1946, she's looking good after a repaint recently.


All aboard........


Hope you enjoyed your trip!

After a very tiring and long day in London yesterday (and this time I managed to squeeze in two meetings), I'm having a rest and a catch up on you posts.

We are at last making some progress with buying our next home, so we both feel a little more relaxed that it will eventually be ours and before Christmas too (sorry to bring up that word now).

We have also contacted the Springer rescue centre we use, to let them know we will be in a position to take on a new dog soon and have had a chat with them about our needs (and the cats of course), so that really is exciting.

One last thing. I'm delighted that a Herring Gull image has been chosen as the winning photo to promote Devon during the Rugby World Cup in this photography competition Wish it was mine!

Have a good weekend

SeagullSuzie

15 comments:

  1. Your photos of the railway station are lovely. I was hoping to take the steam train in June but maybe next time. Exciting about your new home and I wish you the best. A new dog too? Lovely! That seagull photo was very good, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seagulls get such bad press here with plenty of haters, so I'm delighted this is the winner and not just because I think they are beautiful birds, but because it is a positive image. There are plenty of steam trains here so you must get to go on one during your next visit.

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for railway enthusiasts who have repaired and kept these steam trains and their quaint old stations going.
    At first I thought that you had won the competition - if you had entered one of your lovely bird photos I am sure you would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary! It's a great image, I once saw three herring gull chicks sitting in a row on a little wooden boat in Brixham Harbour, it would have made a great photo but I didn't have my camera....arrrggh.
      We have lots of steam enthusiasts here with a number of lines and even a steam paddle boat now.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of the station and train - it all looks so quaint - especially the sign :) I love the Herring Gull image - oh to be able to take a photo like that!

    So glad to hear about the progress with buying your new home - it will be lovely to be able to spend Christmas there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I need to get out and photograph the other train stations and engines properly as they are fantastic, the one in Paignton is doing really well.
      A brilliant image...just one of those moments!

      Delete
  4. That was indeed an enjoyable trip and if I find myself down in Devon I will certainly be checking out this lovely looking heritage railway. GWR locos like 3205 are beautiful pieces of engineering and are always so distinctive what with their copper-capped chimneys and brass safety valves.

    Hope all goes well with your potential new home :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. We have a number of steam trains down here and they are thankfully so popular with tourists and enthusiasts alike. I intend to go out and get some information and images on all the lines down here and create a post which I hope you'll enjoy (it's a little project for me later on).

      Delete
  5. I remember asking my Grandmother about that sign as a child and her getting very flustered!

    That's great news about the house, and the dog. Do email me and let me know where it is! OB is just back from Brixham and is tired and emotional, missing his friends already. I would have come to seeyou but we were banned from coming anywhere near the place! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em. Glad OB is back and seems as though he had a great time. Still early days with the house as there seem to be many missing documents, but hopefully it can be sorted out.

      Delete
  6. My g. grandparents lived at Littlehempston, and their 3 children (who died in the same week from one of the illnesses that would sweep the countryside and carry wee ones off) are buried in the churchyard, along with their older brother (TB) and mother . . .

    I would imagine they knew and used the railway regularly, as their surviving son moved to Totnes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an incredible story, but sadly this reflects the struggles of life in those times. It still saddens me to think there are plenty of countries where death from preventable illness is still happening on the same scale as when your ancestors were around.

      Delete
  7. Did you know that the station buildings at the SDR Totnes station came from the old Toller station on the (long closed) Bridport branch line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I didn't, it's great that there are so many enthusiasts about as these old stations and the trains are wonderful and so many people seem to enjoy them.

      Delete
  8. Thank you dearly for this wonderful tour. And new home...new dog...a beginning to a new life for you all....good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.