Friday, 17 October 2014

Totnes Rare Breeds Farm

A trip to Totnes Rare Breeds Farm was great fun a few weeks ago. I think we were the only couple without children, but still joined in all the fun. The children absolutely loved the animals, the pygmy goats and kids are so gentle and well behaved it seemed a popular enclosure.


Above is a Little Owl, he's very friendly and you are allowed to stroke him, in fact he sits away from his perch on the fence to be part of the action.


A Brown Wood Owl looking quite sleepy


Great Grey Owl, what a beautiful bird looking straight at me. 

Not too keen on these types of animals in captivity, but they are very well looked after, have a huge aviary and are kept away from the main part of the farm in a quiet environment. 

They have all been either born in captivity, injured or rescued from unpleasant circumstances.


The Farm works very hard to create a lovely environment, it's only small but has gathered together lots of interesting machinery for the children to see. It's a non-profit making organisation with lots of volunteers.



The Angora Goats are gorgeous in looks and temperament. They love a good scratch behind the ears.



Many of the animals have been rescued or handed in, like one of the owls who was kept in a cupboard before being given to the farm and a limping chicken who was attacked by a dog.





All of the animals are in clean environments appropriate to their needs as far as I could see. They get plenty of attention too from staff and visitors. 


I love the Ring Necked Teal Ducks enclosure below, which was just about to get a clean.


You can get a ticket to visit three attractions, the South Devon Steam Railway (another post will be on its way), this farm and Buckfast Butterfly Farm (which we didn't have time to visit).

Well worth a visit if you're in the area, especially with young children, or if you fancy a ride on a steam train to see butterflies....can't really ask for more!

For all of you with children and grandchildren who may be interested in science and bugs (not creepy crawlies this time), take a look at this great resource from the www.e-bug.eu website, The Microbe Science Show

Still missing the sea and Brixham, but there are so many lovely things to do near to where we are renting at the moment, and let's face it renting is quite boring, but relaxing, so we go out as much as possible.

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

22 comments:

  1. Nene geese! I haven't seen them outside Slimbridge before but perfect for children as they are so friendly. Love the angora goats too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The children had a lovely time as all the animals were so friendly. It's a lovely place to visit and I've noticed there are a few of these farms around Totnes. The Angora Goats were funny and kept hubby occupied for ages scratching behind their ears.

      Delete
  2. It looks a lovely place. I LOVE little owls and the Angoras are beautiful. I agree about being uneasy with animals in enclosed spaces, but have to say all of these looked well and contented. Sounds like they are doing a great job there x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I once rescued a little owl from a very busy road, it'd been hit by a car, but a week at the vets and some tlc and I went back to pick it up and release it, a great experience. One of the girls working there was completing her Duke of Edinburgh award, she was very good at talking to people and explaining about the animals.

      Delete
  3. Love these photos, especially those Angora goats, what an expression! I bet you do miss the sea but, I think wherever you are there is always something to do and places to go visit and I'm glad you are able to relax for now. Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. Most of the enclosures were people friendly, so you could go in and get up close with them including the Angora Goats, they were very friendly, I'm sure they knew they were very handsome too!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous photos Suzie - love the Little Owl and Angora goats. Like you, I get uneasy about wild species in captivity but they look very well cared for here and, as you say, often they have been injured and can't be returned to the wild. Looks a great place for children to learn about animals and wildlife too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see children getting used to animals and seems so strange to me that some children are growing up without this important contact. What I hate to see though is the parents picking up their clinging crying children because they are afraid of a chicken for example..it's just crazy...I have to ask myself just how they got to that point!

      Delete
  5. Love that Brown Wood Owl. I've never heard of one before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither Em, just a beautiful creature.

      Delete
  6. The owls are amazing, and it is good to know that they are being well cared for if their previous lives haven't been all that they should isn't it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Amy, I felt sad until I read about them, imagine being kept in a cupboard. At least they are teaching children about owls and wildlife.

      Delete
  7. An interesting looking place, especially the beautiful Owls and Geese. That Great Grey Owl is stunning though like you I'd rather see it in the wild rather than captivity.

    Looking forward to the upcoming South Devon Railway post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I love the Grey Owl image too, it was quite awake and alert when I went over and it just looked straight at me, tipping its head, it's a very large owl too.

      Delete
  8. Love the Angora Goats and the Owls! On my list to visit next year!! Hope the house moving is seriously under way now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, they had a fantastic selection of chickens too and the pygmy goats were so lovely and very entertaining. Make sure you do the three things when you come, I'm really keen to go to the Butterfly Farm next.

      Delete
  9. All of the animals look very well cared for. I do have a bit of a passion for owls - love their big round faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Rosemary, owls are so exciting and mesmerising.

      Delete
  10. Wonderful pictures and so good to see that it provides a home for rescued animals. We have often been in this area but somehow have never come across it! Enjoy your days of leisure and getting out we seem so busy at the moment doing small jobs in the house and garden that we only seem to have short walks down by the sea! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah. It's a short walk from Totnes Train Station and very easy to get to. I expect the same will happen to us, lots of small jobs once we get the keys and then Christmas will be upon us. We went to Shaldon on Saturday and it was so pretty, so I've a post prepared on that visit.

      Delete
  11. Nice place and some precious photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Kique, it's a fun place to visit.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.