Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Swans And Sea Birds

I should always take my camera...I should always take my camera....I should always take my camera!


We have a family of swans that visit Broadsands regularly. They come over from Goodrington Beach where Youngs Park has a small enclosed nature reserve and a boating lake. It's always full of sea birds, ducks, geese and a swan pair.


These are the cygnets alone at Broadsands without their parents, a good sign that they are starting to be come independent.



They seem quite successful and have several cygnets each year



It looks like this year they have managed to get three to a fair size and I expect they will be leaving the parents (or I should say they will be chased off) very soon, usually at about 7 months old.


I was very cross with myself as one evening we went for a walk and I didn't have my camera. Typically the parents were at Broadsands with their three cygnets and it was a beautiful calm evening-I could have taken so many beautiful images of the whole family together!


HMS Portland F79 came into the bay on Friday, a Navy Frigate with guns, torpedo's, missiles, a flight deck and hangar, with either a Lynx or Merlin helicopter on board. I managed to get a few snaps in the distance through a sea haze.



Two and a half days of electricians in the house, finally sorting out the rest of our electrics (they stopped to let the builders get their work done). So last week me and the cats were confined to one or two rooms down one end of the house and then moved back to let the guys work on the rest.




We've had some fun with unexpected plumbing work....but just like smelly toilet, it's all sorted now! So apart from a few small jobs we are all finished with the major work and builders, just the mammoth task of decorating ahead.


I hope that normal blogging service will resume now. I have missed so many of your posts, I'm sure lots of interesting things have been happening, and believe me when I say I'm sad that I've missed them.


I still have a numb foot and now the other one seems to be trying to join it...so off to the physio again today with two tingly feet (it's my heels that are mostly affected).


What a beautiful day it is today in Devon, I've taken today off to spend with my husband who goes into hospital for major surgery tomorrow. 

So many things going on these days and one of the reasons I got all the work on the house completed in a mad rush. I want him to be able to come home to a peaceful and safe environment, with no smelly toilets, dodgy electrics or leaky plumbing where he can recover and life can get back to normal.


When I look back it's really not been the best twelve months of our lives, but we do have a lovely home, sea views, a beach within walking distance..and of course each other...so it's not all bad!


Wishing you a lovely spring like and sunny week ahead
Until next time
SeagullSuzie

26 comments:

  1. It happens so often doesn't it? going out without the camera. I tend to have mine attached to the strap of my shoulder bag. Sometimes though I forget that the camera is not in the case!!! How beautiful the swans are, they share such elegant poses together.
    Glad that you are nearing completion on your home, the decorating will be the cherry on the cake.
    Hope everything goes well for your husband and that he is soon home recuperating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Rosemary. I feel that the swans will become a regular part of the blog this year if they have cygnets. The nature reserve is small but well worth a regular visit with the camera. I have absolutely no energy for decorating or doing any more to the house right now...it'll just have to wait! Hubby is now home, looking a little pale, but so glad to be back and alive!

      Delete
  2. What a difficult time you've had. I wish your husband all the very best for tomorrow and the speediest of recoveries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, it's been a crazy year for sure. Hubby is doing well and at home now, it's so good to have him back safe. It's just a shame all these things came at once....but isn't that always the way!

      Delete
  3. I too always see the best opportunities when I have left the camera at home! Your images of the swans are still superb. I have missed your pictures of the local wildlife. I hope all goes well with your husband's surgery. You have had so much to do over the last few months! Hope you will now have more time to relax and recover. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Sarah, it wasn't what we were expecting to happen at all. Just as well this is a small bungalow in a lovely area for the walks and exercise that hubby will need. Despite our setbacks I am looking forward to a year of blogging here as I really hope there will be lots of wildlife to record and photograph. The whole point of the Lumix was to take it everywhere, but I'm sure now the house is no longer in chaos I can get a bit more organised...keys...phone...camera!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous photos and I have everything crossed for both of you tomorrow. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Em. I had a great time taking the photos, the swans seem quite relaxed when there are no dogs about and during the week is the best time as it's so quiet. Hubby is doing really well, although very weary and pale.

      Delete
  5. I am so pleased for all the good things that have been done major building work done, no more smelly toilet, wonderful pictures of the swans, time taken out to appreciate the swans, all very good hey! So sorry to hear about your husband, I really do hope that all goes well and that there will be a good result and outcome all round. I will be sending the best of vibes to you both. Hugs to you and here's hoping that once tomorrow is over things will be on the up for a great 12 months ahead!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Amy. It feels like a lovely home, so calm and relaxing...not all houses have that and it's lovely not to have builders, plumbers and electricians arriving at 8am every day, week after week. The op went very well and he is starting his recovery, I'm looking after the medication, nutrition and wounds.....just as well I can!

      Delete
  6. Great pictures, and the very best wishes to your husband for tomorrow. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I must remember to go down to the beach on very calm mornings and evenings as the birds are easy to photograph and there are plenty of them. Our back garden seems to be full of wildlife, shrews, mice, and lots of garden birds, but it'll take a while to decide what to do with it. I should start recording it now I guess.

      Delete
  7. I do hope all goes well with your husband's surgery and he makes a speedy recovery. What a relief for you that the building work is more or less complete. You really have had a tough time lately - I hope your foot recovers soon too.

    The photos are great - did you use your Bridge camera or the new Nikon lens? I love the first one with the birds all lined up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, the new exercises for my feet seem to be working and hubby is doing really well. I love having a dishwasher once again, it's been too many months without one and the new utility room is great.
      Glad you liked the photos, I used the Lumix, just because of the zoom really. I want to get down to the beach with the Nikon though as I prefer the light in the photos (sounds like I know what I'm talking about doesn't it...but I just think I can see a difference).

      Delete
  8. Thanks for taking time to share your pictures ... I enjoyed looking at them.

    I hope all goes well for you and your husband tomorrow, and as for the "mammoth task of decorating ahead" take your time - it's today, the now that is important.........

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan. I am really too exhausted to do any more right now and you are right, each day with my husband is what's important. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I hope to bring you many more photos as the spring and breeding season picks up.

      Delete
  9. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery. Lovely photos, I particularly like the one of the Oyster Catcher in flight. Take care of yourself. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, all going well so far for hubby. I was really not sure the Lumix would get that bird in flight but it did, which is why it's such a good all rounder.

      Delete
  10. Sorry to hear about the op -sending you both all the best. Lovely to sea the gulls in your shots. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks CT, it was all a shock to us at first but now it's all over we just hope for a better year. Still haven't seen any ringed birds yet, but it is a great place to bird watch.

      Delete
  11. Best wishes and thanks for sharing your lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Freda, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment. I do enjoy bird watching and getting photographs..it's my way of relaxing I guess.

      Delete
  12. Wonderful shots of these beautiful birds !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ela, we've had some horrible weather since I took these so there have been hardly any birds on the rough seas. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. I hope the surgery went well. I have everything crossed. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Em, it did. Like you time is flying by and I'm struggling to keep on top of everything, so the blog and photography has had to give it's time up just for now.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.