Wednesday, 25 March 2015

Tropical Birds at Paignton Zoo

A well earned rest and a rare break with a trip to the zoo. I went straight into the Tropical House and Desert House for an hour. I love the Reptile Tropics and think I could stay in there all day. The birds free fly around the huge glasshouse and there are plenty of reptiles too.


I can't believe it's been two weeks today since my husbands operation. I thought he put it very well...it feels like we have lived a month in just one week.


Everything went very well and it was such a relief to get him home. The NHS is buckling under the pressure of cutbacks by our greedy, arrogant and short-sighted politicians. 
I could see these signs, but all the staff were wonderful and we have been so lucky, a lot of patients on that ward were very ill indeed.

Bath time

Display plumage

Love is in the air

A tropical take-away

Wonderful patterns

All loved up in the Desert Glasshouse

And lastly my favourite set of photos. It was so funny watching this pair.

 Look at me, look at me..!
Am I impressed?
No, I don't think I am! 

Life still doesn't feel like it's back to normal as recovery will take many more weeks, hubby has good and not so good days and I feel exhausted.

However spring is here, the clocks go forward and evenings will be brighter. Tourists will soon be here for the Easter holidays and there are signs of activity from shopkeepers, tour companies and the council putting the beach huts back along the seafronts.

Thank you all for your support and good wishes, it really does help.
Until next time
SeagullSuzie

16 comments:

  1. First comment got eaten! Beautiful birds, glad that your hubby is doing well, I hope that all will now be good for you. Hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Amy, that first bird is very robin like, but the tropical house is beautiful and stuffed full of plants.

      Delete
  2. What beautiful photos and I'm so glad you're able to go somewhere to de-stress. I heard Cameron on the radio the other day congratulating the NHS on doing so well under difficult circumstances and I I had a knot of anger in my stomach and was on the verge of tears. There's something about his Eton bullying voice that hits a horrible nerve with me. Sadly, I think we'll be stuck with him for another five years! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, think so too! Thanks Em, had a lovely time at the zoo, it's very close and hubby can come with me for a bit of time outside.

      Delete
  3. I am so pleased everything went well with your husband's operation and he is now back at home. I always think recovery happens quicker at home when you are surrounded by those you love and your own things.

    Have to agree with Em having had an awful experience at our local hospital last weekend when why husband was in A and E and then admitted.

    Glad to see you managed to have a break to de-stress. The photos are really wonderful. Thinking of you and sending best wishes to your husband and his continued recovery. Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Caroline, hubby is doing very well and feeling stronger now he's past the 2 week mark. He's sleeping really well, heating healthily and now able to go out for walks alone, so we can't ask for more than this just yet. I hope your hubby is OK.
      I got one of my favourite photos at the zoo again after another trip to the tropical house. I've been very brave and made the decision not to use any auto settings on the new Nikon (except focus), I'll post it next time...see what you think!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that your husband is home and on the mend. These things take time, don't rush it and enjoy the opportunity to take it a little easier for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, it's been a long and stressful time, the build up, all the hospital visits and then the op. It really does get to you in the end, however it seems like he has been very lucky and is fully on the road to recovery.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos and I hope that your husband is soon fully recovered. The NHS is struggling even worse in Wales as they are run by Labour councils. It must be so difficult for staff, who are so dedicated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NHS staff are under so much pressure and I hate the government for what they are doing to the NHS...all because they wanted to (and did) bail out their banker friends...who have walked a way with cash awards. Oh and then there's the MPs pay rise.....oooh don't gt me started!
      Thank you for your kind comments, hubby is doing so well.

      Delete
  6. I seem to have missed your last post (I was in North Wales a fortnight ago) but I am glad to hear that your husband is on the mend and that the new house is well under way to becoming a comfortable family home again :-)

    As you say spring is well on the way with the first butterflies and spring migrants already here and surely things can only get better in the coming weeks & months. All the best and kindest regards to you all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. The herring gulls are busy checking out their rooftop nesting sites again, and since this area has mostly bungalows, I'll be busy (and delighted) watching the antics.

      Delete
  7. So sorry to hear you have been having a difficult time and hope the good days will become the norm and your husband makes a good recovery. It was good to hear the news was good. You are lucky to have the zoo on your doorstep and can photograph such unusual species. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, the zoo has been great for a little stop off and perfect for a bit of time away from the house.

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear Mr Suzie is home- as Jessica said, recovery can be such a long, slow process. Try and get some rest yourself too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks CT, I have had to rest as some days I was just so tired. With the weather beginning to change and the garden waking up from winter it's a great pick-me-up!

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.