Saturday, 1 August 2015

After a short break

Time has flown by since I last posted. We've done quite a few things, a little bit more on the house, a short break in Cornwall and we have a new dog. So just to get started again, here's a few photos from home. 

I also have photos to follow showing the Solitaire Du Figaro, Brixham Trawler Race, some new shops in Brixham and of course the dog who we have decided to call Harry.


There's been some bad press recently concerning gulls. Shocking incidents for the family and poor little dogs of course, but it gives the haters of these wild animals something to latch onto as if to justify their hate. We have to find a way to live with wild animals instead of killing them and we need to find workable solutions to the problems we encounter.

Here are some gulls living peacefully in Brixham and where they should be, beside the sea. I also found this beautiful Privet Hawk Moth in the back garden, with a wingspan of 90-120mm, it really is huge.


These were the happy and healthy family of Herring Gulls on next doors roof and our garage roof. They were doing so well until a few weeks ago when a fox got them. I was so looking forward to watching this family up close and getting photos as they grew. However there are plenty of healthy chicks on Broadsands Beach now and more arriving every day.


A quick view of the garden, a new olive tree and a pretty rose that was already here. As you can see the cats get the best seats in the house...no room for us!

I managed to see my first ringed gull at Broadsands and reported the sighting. It turns out the bird was ringed as a chick on the Channel Islands in 2014.

I didn't get as much free time as I had planned during my blogging break, the house and the new dog seem to be taking up all of my free time in between work, but we did have a lovely short break in Cornwall (photos to follow). In fact we enjoyed going away so much, that we'd really like to go to Scotland next year. We found a very nice cattery too which makes us feel that holidays are possible once again.

Beautiful weather here, in fact the national weather predictions are rubbish and really do not reflect the local weather here in Torbay. I do have concerns that this may adversely affect tourism.

If I don't press publish now, this post will sit for another week as a draft, so without delay, I wish you all a lovely week ahead.

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

18 comments:

  1. Welcome back to bogging, we have missed you and look forward to reading about Harry's antics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, it's good to be back. I'm doing my best to catch up but this new little dog of ours is taking up a lot of time...not complaining as he's just lovely.

      Delete
  2. Hi Suzie, So lovely to see a post from you again! I'm glad you have been achieving things while you have been away and managed to have a lovely holiday too. We find the worst thing about a holiday is leaving the cat, so it good that you have found a good cattery to give you a well needed break. So sorry to hear that the seagulls you were watching didn't make it. There are many chicks around here too. Hope we will get a glimpse of your new dog soon.Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sarah, oh yes there will be plenty of dog photos, he's such a sweet animal. We had a great holiday and I didn't fret about the cats as the cattery is small and I knew they were well looked after in a very peaceful environment with no kennels. I'm enjoying the sound overhead of chicks flying with their parents and we're off to the beach to see what's there next.

      Delete
  3. Hi and welcome back! Glad to hear all's well.
    I just love that first pic of the gull feet, so sad the little chicks didn't make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, the gulls make a terrible racket on the plastic roof, but I just love seeing those feet and was delighted to get a photo.

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see you back again Suzie - love the photo of the gulls feet from underneath. People do keep complaining about the weather but we have found it to be a lovely summer too. Lots of blue skies and an abundance of flowers in the garden, sitting out in the sunshine enjoying our breakfast - our only complaint being that the ground has been parched until some rain came last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Rosemary. Roses seem to have done very well this year or maybe that's because I have a lot of them in this garden! Yes it's all doom and gloom in the weather forecasts but it's been lovely here although I heard that North Devon had bad weather and strong waves.

      Delete
  5. Welcome back to blogging Suzie - so glad you had a lovely holiday and its great news about Harry. The Privet Hawkmoth is a real beauty but what a shame about the seagulls you were watching.

    Look forward to more posts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, it's good to be back! I was having a bit of a clear up and tidy when this big thing moved next to me, I've never seen one so was delighted, and had to get my insect book out to look it up.

      Delete
  6. Great to have you back Suzie, I sincerely hope that all is well with you and yours :-)

    Every year we seem to get the same silly stories about killer gulls, usually around the summer holidays, and as you say why can't people just learn to live with nature rather than fighting against it :-(

    The Privet Hawk-moth was awesome :-)

    Kindest regards and best wishes to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. I've missed out on so many things recently with the new dog taking up plenty of time. We're off for a walk now down to the beach and I'll be delighted as always to see the new gull chicks.

      Delete
  7. Welcome back to blogland, where the sun always shines, har, har! Loved those pix of the gulls - are you sure it was Mr Fox? Magpies always do for the baby pigeons around here, and also the baby house sparrows.
    Trust the moggies to find the best seats in the house!
    Years ago I found a hawk moth caterpillar in the house. I didn't think it was real. Our two sons (then infants at the time) had been given some plastic animals toys, little 'dinosaurs' and so forth, and I thought it was one of those and picked the blighter up. And then it moved. I almost had a heart attack. I dropped it and then managed to pop it into a clean jam jar and deposit it in the garden. It wasn't that I'm scared of such things, it was just the unexpected happening - it moving when I thought it was a plastic toy!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny story Margaret...I bet you jumped...I would have too! We're fairly sure it was the fox, as there was no trace of body parts or feathers and they were getting quite big. When magpies challenge herring gulls around here the gulls always win. There is a fox quite near, any other animal would have left 'bits'

      Delete
  8. Great to hear from you, glad you had a good time away! Sorry to be brief, running behind! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Amy, many thanks, trying to catch up myself too, I don't know what's happening to time.

      Delete
  9. Nice to have you back :o) Agree about the Gulls- feel very sorry for the families involved but nature is nature and we can't just kill things because they get in our way. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks CT. Hope I can keep up, there just seems to be too much to do and not enough time, maybe it's something to do with the summer. I think those seagull stories are horrible, poor dogs, however I think there is much more to it than the owners are saying. In Brixham we lived with them all around us, the cats and the gulls shared the same garden without a problem, and we sat eating outside with them close and were never attacked...even with food on the table...now how is that possible. I even have videos of them happily moving about the garden with us at the table.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.