Friday, 7 August 2015

August Flowers

There really are some beautiful flowers and plants in this garden. I took out the Sigma macro lens with the Nikon and spent a peaceful time taking these photos. I've never tried this lens with general shots before, but I think it did a great job.


The rose below is the most beautiful colour and sits perfectly with the orange of the crocosmia



A stunning rose I rescued from a dilapidated pot
Seed heads already


Insects -a very small spider!

The Vapourer Moth caterpillar, back again for another year with me. They've moved house twice on the same shrub, which is looking very moth eaten at the moment.

New shoots and stunning colours close up with the macro lens



The Herring Gull chicks continue to fledge, butterflies are everywhere and bees are busy, isn't August a lovely month?

A while ago I posted some photos of the garden Blackbird family with their chicks. The adults are still about but the female has a problem with one leg and cannot use it. I thought she'd be gone long ago but I was delighted to see her with the male this morning basking in the early morning sunshine.
He stayed very close to her and they sat on the ground together warming up. 
I was surprised to see this behaviour as I didn't think they would stay quite so close after nesting was over (although I know they are monogamous) and they've already had two broods. 
It really was a very sweet thing to see and made my day.

Leaving you on that positive note, we're off for a dog walk and a cuppa at Broadsands
Have a lovely week ahead
SeagullSuzie


26 comments:

  1. Wow with your macro lens the detail is spectacular! That rose is fantastic especially against the crocosmia.Is your garden quite sheltered? It has been a beautiful day here today so I'm sure you must have had a lovely time down at Broadsands beach too. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah we did have a lovely time. It's helping the little dog to settle in too. Yes the back garden is particularly sheltered but the front gets westerly winds in the winter and spring.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous macro shots! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, sorry to hear about your IT problems...hope that road is dug up and the cable fixed soon.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful photos so bright and clear and such gorgeous colours in the flowers. I love the story of the blackbirds too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, RSPB fat balls seem to be keeping Mr & Mrs Blackbird well fed...perhaps that's why she has survived this long.

      Delete
  4. These are fabulous photos! I love the story of the blackbirds. Wishing you a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I'm not sure they will stay together all winter though, so I think she may not make it through a winter with that leg.

      Delete
  5. Outstanding photos SS, I really love all the rich and varied colours and great shots of the caterpillar & the rather beautiful spider :-)

    Lovely story about the Blackbird pair and I share your sentiments about August being one of the most lovely of months.

    Hope you enjoyed your dog walk and kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. Enjoying August seemed to stop yesterday as we have had non-stop rain!

      Delete
  6. It looks like you have inherited a pretty garden. Love that rose with the crocosmia especially. Enjoy your weekend. We are having our 1 night away holiday this weekend, delivering a chest of drawers to friends in Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, but the garden is quite awkward too, being on such a slope and so small, some parts are very pretty and the wildlife seem to like it so that's a bonus.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I love those photos
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Julie, still a lot of work to do in the garden.

      Delete
  8. What lovely photos, love the spider shot. It's lovely to hear your blackbirds are so close x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for stopping by. Very cute Blackbird behaviour, but not sure how long it will last.

      Delete
  9. Marvelous macros, so sharp and clear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I never knew the macro could do that as well as the close ups so I'm delighted.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos Suzie - and so much colour :) Love the macro shot of the spider :)

    What a lovely story about the blackbirds - its made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. Lots of colour, although I do have a stunning clash too, which I failed to capture as the roses didn't last long and I was busy. Crocosmia Red Devil and a pinky-red and white stripped rose....it really doesn't work!

      Delete
  11. Wow, they are stunning shots! Would love that Macro lens!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Margaret...pop along to Mifsuds in Brixham and treat yourself!

      Delete
  12. Fabulous photos and although I'm not a lover of spiders ( all those eyes) I do like that one. I love the story about the blackbirds too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Deb, thanks for leaving a comment. That's the great thing with the macro...hunting out tiny objects and realising how fab they look in detail. Haven't seen the Blackbirds for a few days as the weather had been very wet.

      Delete
  13. Lovely floral images Suzie, the first and the second from last in particular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, I love having a play around with the macro lens, it makes things look so different.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.