Monday, 19 October 2015

Fish and Chip Supper in Brixham

Last Thursday we decided to get fish and chips for our supper and eat them at the Breakwater. I took the bridge camera as it takes great night time hand held images.


A view across Brixham Marina with Brixham in the background


The fish market and trawlers (slightly blurred image as it's a long way away)


Slightly earlier in the evening some of the fancy boats in the marina


The curve of the Breakwater keeping the waters calm


The other side of the Breakwater with choppy waters looking across the bay to Torquay


A crane was busy at work well into the evening as the sun set


The stony beach of the Breakwater where we ate our supper from the car

Earlier in the afternoon we went to Berry Head to walk Harry and I spotted these two small boats coming in with their catch after passing around Berry Head, so they were quite close.



Harry at Berry Head (the small dot in the sea is the red boat above heading towards Berry Head)


Harry Before and After Pictures. What a difference three months make!

I know you've seen some fairly good photos of Harry in previous posts, but this is Harry now weighing 13.4kg and the top right image is the day we got him. It's hard to believe he looked so skinny and wretched.

Garden Progress

This is the top part of the garden, looking pretty awful when we moved in (and a bit of a dumping ground) as I struggled to find space to put everything. Hedges needed cutting back and items needed re-homing.


The ivy and hedge had been untouched for years. I got someone in to help cut it all back now that the nesting season is over. The ivy was so thick and high it was like cutting a loaf of bread as huge square chunks were cut out bit by bit. The hedge leaned out so far it touched the rustic archway, so about five feet was cut back. It looks bare at the moment and the ground needs a tidy up.....but it's a start!

We now have views across to the fields from the top of the garden and I can even see the steam trains (although I just missed one going past, the steam is still visible). The sea view is from the top part of the garden too, so I'll have to think about how to make the most of it in my new designs.


We had a search in the loft boxes and found some of our favourite pictures, so spent some time over the weekend putting them up. The place feels much more homely.

So I'll be spending spare time in my week ahead, thinking about that top part of the garden and looking in my garden books for inspiration.

Wishing you an inspirational week ahead
Until next time
SeagullSuzie

24 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful pictures of Brixham and take me back to when we stayed there for my 50th, We watched a similar red boat like yours coming into harbour so closely and noisily followed by the sea gulls! You can notice the change in Harry after months of your loving care. The changes in the garden are such an improvement and I would be interested to see how you can make the most of that wonderful view. I hope all the work and the house and garden is almost complete and you will have more time to relax and become more settled. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, I remember you visited Brixham a while ago now, it's still as lovely as ever. The garden is a puzzle as it's very small and I just don't know what to do with it yet. I hate all that crazy paving, but to break it up would be a huge task and costly. I was thinking of painting 3 beach huts on the fence, covering the paving with a membrane, but making some holes for plants and laying pebbles...just an idea...but I do have a lot of weeding to do!

      Delete
  2. When we visited Padstow, I found it hugely amusing to watch posh fops buy 15 quids worth of fish supper from Rick Stein's chippy, only to have it immediately stolen by herring gulls the size of turkeys before they've barely taken a bite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are mean Simon...! That's why we eat them in the car.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of night-time Brixham Suzie and its so lovely to see Harry looking so happy and healthy after a few months of your care. Look forward to seeing the changes you make to the top of the garden and its great that you have a seaview! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry is coming on so well now, I'm sure another 3 months will be the complete change in him mentally as well as physically. The garden is a tricky one, up steps and quite small...and I have to make room for wildlife too!

      Delete
  4. I do love seeing pictures of Brixham- such a lovely place. So glad your new house is starting to feel more like home. Great to have a new garden to work on too and that is a lovely view. Harry looks great! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks CT, Harry is a little darling and we are delighted with his progress. House is feeling better thanks, we can at last rest and enjoy, the garden will keep me busy for a while I'm sure.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures of Brixham in the early evening! A lovely way to spend a few hours. Harry looks great doesn't he, very happy indeed. Your garden looks great too, such a massive change already! Just think what next year will bring. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely thanks Amy, a perfect evening out. I think next year will bring back ache....looking at what needs doing!

      Delete
  6. An impromptu evening watching the lights over the sea whilst eating fish and chips sounds great - and how wonderful that Harry has settled down well and become so much stronger and fitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to have a fish and chip supper every now and again and now that the tourists have gone, we have the Breakwater almost to ourselves.

      Delete
  7. Great to see your views of good old Brixham where I spent many happy times in my childhood.
    Incidentally, I have relations living there one of whom is 90 today 21st Oct, not that they will read this, but just thought I would mention it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you still had relatives here Mel, a great place to grow old!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful photos and it looks like you're making great headway in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, well I'm not sure I'm making that much progress, but it does feel like a start and a step in the right direction at least.

      Delete
  9. Yummy, the fish and chip supper sounds rather appealing, even more so when you can enjoy such lovely views over beautiful Brixham :-)

    Your earlier pictures of your garden reminds me of how our current yard at Grosmont still looks like but it is good to see that you are starting to tame your own patch. No doubt by spring you will be able to see the benefits of all the hard work!

    By the way is that the top of a weather station I see in the photo of your sea & steam views?

    Kindest regards to all (including of course Harry & all the cats) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks David, fish and chips under the safety of your car roof is relaxing and even more so with that view. I wanted to wait until all nesting activity had stopped and the Blackbird with the bad leg had moved on (or died) as she sheltered in the hedge most days.
      Yes it is a weather station, hubby bought if for me several years ago when we lived in Harrogate and it's still working perfectly, even after all our house moves. It gets packed up very carefully and the box clearly says weather station-it's always one of the first things I unpack! It was marvellous to have when we lived in Brixham as it accurately recorded the high wind speeds across Berry Head and our back garden.

      Delete
  10. What an improvement in Harry - I am glad he's settled in well. Your garden will look wonderful now worst of the hard work has been done and fancy being able to see the steam train!

    If I hadn't just had a roast lamb meal, I'd be drooling at the thought of those fish and chips and a sea view,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Harry is a little darling and well worth all the effort to improve his condition, they always look terrible when they come out of kennels! Fish and chip supper might be the last until the evenings get brighter again.

      Delete
  11. Ah fish and chips, nothing more satisfying. You sound so busy in the garden. It's amazing how much ivy can claim in space and it makes me smile when I clear a large area and reclaim the garden back. And what a view! To watch steam trains passing by must be wonderful. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chel, the garden is a serious project and the front is in need of tlc too, but it's covered in gravel and layer upon layer of membrane...it's driving me mad.

      Delete
  12. I'm so glad I found this post because I'm very tempted to pinch your idea of painting beach huts on my fence - if you don't mind? (I'm in Cornwall, so not much chance of anyone seeing it except me and infrequent visitors.)
    You also reminded me that it's been a long while since I took myself off for an early evening fish & chips treat in Looe; nothing better than sitting on the harbour wall, watching the boats come in with the backdrop of strings of coloured lights all along the harbour. Roll on Summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, nope don't mind at all...I really need something to cheer up the back of this garden, if you do it first send me some pics! We have reached the end of the fish and chip supper season as it's so dark now and the restaurant doesn't open 'till late, so that was our last one of the season. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment, I've just had a quick peek at your blog, seems like a lovely place to live.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.