Saturday, 10 October 2015

The Red Arrows

The Red Arrows performed their fantastic fly by at the end of the Torbay Regatta a couple of months ago and I caught these images with the bridge camera from the front garden.




I have cheated a little in that I enhanced the photos slightly to get brighter images, but it was quite something to watch.



In the garden with the Sigma macro lens on the Nikon


It's often quite difficult to get the focus just right, the flower seems more in focus than the bee!


Checking my Collins Complete Guide to British Insects, I think this is a Woodland Grasshopper, but I'm happy for you to help me out with that ID if I'm wrong. I had several in the front garden in the beautiful warm and sunny weather a few weeks ago.


I tried really hard to get this image, but it didn't work, spiders web just after the rain a few weeks ago. These spiders are big now, so must be catching just the right amount of prey.


Some late blooms in the front garden, on a day when the light was most peculiar, but I think I got the macro focus right for these Nigella (I thought they were weeds as they first came up before the flowers appeared) which the bees loved.



Starting to make some progress now with the space we have outside...nothing special, but at last we got the rotary washing line spike into the ground and I have the delight of my washing blowing about in the breeze...ooh it feels good! I have been driven almost mad by having to put the washing onto a clothes horse in the courtyard area (which nearly always blows over or I bump into it continuously) since we moved in.....it's those little things isn't it?

Still hardly any birds in the garden on the new feeders and I've not seen Mrs Blackbird with the poorly leg for a while, although I did think I heard her a few times in the back garden. Plenty of buzzards about and I've seen the Sparrowhawk almost daily.

The mice continue to eat the fat balls, but there is a great story to this one. I had a Tawny Owl hover right in front of my living room window the other evening, obviously spotted some of the fat ball eating mice scampering about on the front lawn. It was very exciting....I hope it got one!

Not great weather here this weekend, dull and windy but quite mild. Hope you get out and about whatever the weather.
Until next time
SeagullSuzie


20 comments:

  1. Great photos Suzie. I used to love the Red Arrows displays when we were in the UK. Fantastic to see the Tawny Owl so close.:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb, many thanks for leaving a comment. You would laugh if you saw how small my front garden is, I was amazed to see the owl so close, let's hope it comes back for seconds!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful photos not only of the Red Arrows but also the insects and flowers!
    Margaret P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, there are still a few flowers out even now, but hardly any insects in this weather.

      Delete
  3. Great photos from your garden of the Red Arrows and in your garden of the lovely flowers and wildlife. We used to have a collard dove with a damaged foot visit the garden and hadn't seen it for ages but it was back this week hobbling about so it is still around, hope your Mrs Blackbird is too. How wonderful to have the owl so near your window:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosie, I really hope she makes it too, she has every chance as it's mild here and the gardens are quite suitable. I'm ready with buggy nibbles for her when she pops back for a snack. I'm going to concentrate on the front garden next year doing everything I can for wildlife and bring in lots of flowers too.

      Delete
  4. Exciting news about the Tawny Owl and I love the Red Arrows so adored your photos :) The Bridge camera took some great shots. I think you did really well with the macro shots. Have more or less given up with mine :( Its only 35mm so have to get really close for insect photos which is usually impossible.

    Not many birds on our feeders either at the moment - there must be plenty of natural food still available perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, the macro is difficult and you should see how many photos don't work! The bridge is so very useful-a real all rounder. I agree it must be the reasonable weather keeping the birds away-at least that's what I'm hoping, as a garden without birds is not what I want.

      Delete
  5. Great photos, really enjoyed them especially the macro's as I always have a hard time with those. Wonderful view of the Red Arrows too. Glad you got your rotary washing line up. We had one of those. Nothing like the smell of sun-dried clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Denise, the smell of fresh washing dried on a breeze or in the sunshine is just wonderful-I wonder where we get that smell association...perhaps our childhood?

      Delete
  6. Am so envious of your Red Arrows display!! I have never seen their show, so this year booked a weeks holiday around the Lyme Regis Lifeboat week!! I should have known better!! The weather was awful, so that was that, although it was a beautiful evening about half an hour after they should have been there!!! The next time I thought I might see them was a local charity day, it had been advertised as a Friday all year, double checked before we were away again, and it was changed to a Wednesday, the day we were coming home!!! To add insult to injury, my son saw them at the Southampton boat show, it was a beautiful afternoon and the photos he took are stunning!! Maybe I will see them next year!!! I enjoyed the television programme about them last night on BBC2, I would just love to be able to polish that cockpit cover!!!! Windowlene is ready!!!!!
    How amazing to see that Owl!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what bad luck missing them like that! We also had the Vulcan bomber over for Dartmouth Regatta-that was quite special. Even though the mice are eating the fat balls if it brings the owls closer, then I'll be happy.

      Delete
  7. Those are fantastic pictures of the red arrows from your garden! We used to see them in Weymouth too from our garden but not with such a good view as yours! We have also seen them in our garden here as they head along the coast to their next display. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the coast is the best place to see them as the skies are bigger, being more open. I was delighted by the performance of the bridge camera, I had no idea the photos would come out so well.

      Delete
  8. A great display by the Red Arrows and how lucky you were to be able to enjoy the show from your own front garden! Also great macro pics, the Nigella shots are outstanding as is the shot of the Grasshopper. Focusing can be very difficult with macro, especially when shooting hand-held, but I think you have taken some super photos nevertheless :-)

    It sounds like things are continuing to move on at your new property (wish I could say the same!) and I sincerely hope that more birds start returning to your garden soon. Apparently the first Bewick's Swans have already turned up, so some people are already forecasting a long hard winter ahead, so perhaps the birds will return when it starts getting a little colder.

    Hope you are well and kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, at first the macro lens felt very heavy (and it is) and I struggled to get anything in focus, but I'm slowly getting better and a bit of practice in your own garden is the way to start I think. Sorry to hear things are not moving on at your cottage-always a very frustrating time, but it will be worth it...well that's what everyone says...but it doesn't always feel that way!
      With the new central heating system we feel very snug and warm and now that the flooring is down there are no drafts, but I hope it's not a hard winter all the same.

      Delete
  9. Amazing macros shots Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, there were about seven grasshoppers in the garden at the time and they were very good about having their photos taken!

      Delete
  10. Breathtaking shots Suzie! I use a bridge camera and my phone on occasion but hope to treat myself one day to DSLR - also when I have time to take a course!! Well done on the spike for the rotary - during the summer I have lines out but in the autumn and winter the rotary goes back out so I don't have to walk on the grass and sink in the mud! My job today is to get the rotary out of storage... and to pray for a bit of sunshine! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chel. The bridge camera does a great job, but at first I struggled to adjust between the bridge and the DSLR.
      As DeniseinVA says, you can't beat the smell of freshly dried washing, even in winter and there is certainly enough wind here by the coast to dry the clothes.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.