Saturday, 13 February 2016

Stormy Morning

I thought you'd like to see the storm that arrived this morning in Torbay. I took the dog out first, got soaking wet and then popped back with the camera to catch these images at Broadsands.





The car park was closed to traffic and completely flooded


You'd need your wellies, waders or maybe a boat to get to the pay and display ticket machine below. Even then I don't think I'd fancy pressing buttons on something electrical whilst standing in this water.



I took shelter in the beach cabins along the seafront, mainly to protect the bridge camera although the lens needs a good clean now



The sea was rough with beautiful waves not often seen on this coastline


A herring gull had a surprise


This tough bird was still standing even after the wave went over it, although it does look a little shocked don't you think?


Heading back to the car, the lane to Elberry Farm was flooded


I'm going to take a break from posting for a while, probably until the end of March, but I'll still take a look at your posts although I may not get to comment all the time. 

Work commitments are high at the moment as the unit I work for is moving location (well we're being kicked out by the university and moving to an NHS trust location), the administration staff are leaving (as they work for the university) and we have to set everything up as new. This includes all my IT as the work laptop has to be returned to the university before the end of our current contract. I'm busy searching for a new business laptop. I'll have to transfer everything across and install everything I need...you know how it goes....it's always a complete pain!

As well as that, to support the unit I've taken on extra hours, so I've a lot less time to do the things I like and just can't keep up. To add to these troubles, I've let a load of stuff pile up (my CPD) which needs to be recorded electronically. I don't mind doing that and to be honest it's not something I struggle with, but it's just the sheer volume...very stupid of me I know, and all my own fault!

I've popped the results of my Big Garden Birdwatch onto a page under the header of My Gardens on the right hand side of the blog. I've decided to put some details and images of my previous gardens into this slot...I've made a start with the chickens I used to have.

Totally forgot to update the weather records!

Anyway, wishing you all a safe and healthy time ahead and happy blogging.
Until April
SeagullSuzie

30 comments:

  1. Broadsands very low lying and frequently flooded in my youth; good that you got a shot of the Herring Gull those lads are quite used to rough seas.
    Your presence in blogging land will be missed and many like myself will await eagerly for your return.
    What is a CPD ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Mel, the beach area and car park is low lying and at the bottom of a very big slope so all the water runs down into it. The gulls were amazing to watch, I tried to get more photos of them but it was too rough for the camera.
      Continuing professional development or CPD is something I have to complete to stay registered in my profession. I do it all without a problem (at least 9 entries a year)-but just never seem to get around to recording it on the system-silly me.

      Delete
  2. Smiling my face off at that seagull, that's a wonderful capture! Some of these beach huts might need a new coat of protective paint too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beach huts already need painting-really every year as those cabins are very close to the salt water. The herring gull was a perfect photo opportunity-just a fluke, but great fun.

      Delete
  3. It does look very stormy and flooded! We seem to have some how missed that one which is very strange as it hit Portland!
    Sorry to hear that you are having such a busy time at work I hope the transfer across goes smoothly. It must be very time consuming having to set up everything from new. Look forward to your return in April until then take care and hope the weather improves! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, we hope the weather improves too, it was absolutely rotten yesterday morning and the photos don't seem to show it so well (the wind and heavy rain that is). Can't believe you missed that storm though.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness! The weather isn't getting any better is it. That gull does look a bit surprised! Have a good, if busy, month and look forward to your return in April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Jessica, I'll keep an eye on your garden adventures to cheer me up!

      Delete
  5. Oh dear I am so sorry to read of all your work related problems and it certainly sounds like a right pain in the you know what :-( Hopefully spring will arrive early this year and you will be able to enjoy some good times outdoors to simply relax and enjoy yourself!

    Loved the pics of the storm, when nature has one of its wilder moments it is truly awesome to behold isn't it, whilst it was interesting to read about the chickens you used to keep. They certainly ended up looking much better and happier compared to when they first arrived! I am also rather envious of your Blackcap during the garden bird count, I am not sure I have seen one since October!

    Hope all the changes at your workplace go smoothly and my kindest regards to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks David. It's going to be a stressful time at work, but it will fly by I'm sure...and it'll be quite nice to have a new laptop, although the cost is high!
      The chickens were great fun and so poorly when I picked them up-terrible the way humans treat animals-but they had a lovely life free ranging in my North Yorkshire garden, easting bugs and sunning themselves.
      I was delighted the blackcap turned up, he was here yesterday afternoon too.

      Delete
  6. Great photos of the beach and waves.
    Adore the look on the gulls face after he got hit with the wave. So funny and rather cute.
    Sorry about your month of moving. Good Luck !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Parsnip, glad you liked the beach and waves-very refreshing it was too!

      Delete
  7. It looks quite rough there.
    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie, it was very rough, and walking the dog was no fun for me although he didn't mind at all.

      Delete
  8. That does look very rough and quite scary. Even the gull looks perplexed by the weather. I would say have a lovely and restful blogging break but it sounds as if you are going to be very busy so I hope all goes well with the changes:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very rough with strong winds and a very high tide Rosie. No rest for me I'm sad to say and I'd much rather be blogging! I'm sure in April I'll be able to breathe a huge sigh of relief.

      Delete
  9. Great photos of a wild, wet day!

    Good luck with your work move and all the extra admin. I hope it won`t be too stressful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm going to try and keep calm through it all...definitely no shouting at the computer!

      Delete
  10. Wow that's amazing! I've never seen Broadsands look like that! We nearly went there for a walk yesterday but went to Greenway instead. Look what we missed!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess, it was better by the afternoon, but in the morning it was terrible. Have you seen the news? Someone took a video of the waves crashing up at Paignton seafront. http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/huge-waves-hit-paignton-devon/vi-BBpsCD1

      Delete
  11. Wow, quite a storm!! Hope that all goes well with the move at work. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy, although I'm not physically moving (I'm in my nice office at home), the disruption affects us all, email changes, access to shared drives, phone and address details, as well as my new computer set up. The worst part is the loss of our admin team, who were lovely and did a great job.

      Delete
  12. Amazing photos Suzie - it does look very rough there.

    Wishing you all the best with the office move and all the extra work involved. Will miss your posts but look forward to your return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, we are part way through now, files, phones and all the extra work, I miss my day off already!

      Delete
  13. The storm looks fierce and the sea very wild. It certainly seems as though winter isn't done with us yet.
    Good luck with everything and look forward to catching up in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite a good storm and I'm delighted I had time to catch it on camera! I'll try and keep up with your posts as I'm keen to see what you've been up to.

      Delete
  14. Dramatic images Suzie, but you can keep them down there.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roy, it was the worst I've seen Broadsands, but I'm sure in other years there'll be more. Yes I'm sure you don't want storms shaking the birds about!

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thank you Linda-it's not always like this of course...wouldn't want you to think we are always under water! Just had some beautiful days of warm sunshine with people on the beach in shorts and t-shirts.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.