Sunday, 19 June 2016

Spring Flowers 2016 Macro Style

A day off last week and the weather was still, and bright but not too sunny, so I took up my macro lens and went out to capture the colours of spring in my back garden. Inspired by all your spring posts recently, I really wanted to write this one.


Clematis, wonderful colours in this close up


One of my favourites, Sisyrinchium striatum


Above and below are my scented geraniums-just outside the office door. The pale flowers below attract early bees (as frost is not a problem here).



Olives and strawberries


Aquilegia-which has self sown all over the back garden, I must collect some seeds and get it into the front garden


Geraniums ready to burst into flowers possibly Geranium Rosemoor as it's a deep shade of violet, with stripes and the bees love it.


Grass moths I think!


Honeysuckle


A beautiful soft pink rose climbing up the rustic arch


One I brought with me Rose Rambling Rector, a present from my friend Kathy, fabulous scent and attractive to bees


Another unknown rose but with such beautiful pink striped petals when open


Cotoneaster horizontalis below whose flowers are irresistible to bees, I can't get enough of this planted around the garden, if you want happy bees make sure you have it in your garden


There you have it, a glimpse of the back garden in June, mostly plants that were already here-they just needed a bit of help. Clearing and making space and light has really brought this garden on. You may remember when it looked like this.....


and then in January 2016.....just starting clearing again. Can you see how much hedge was cut back? It was leaning all the way over to the arch in the photo above.


and the final finished plot, looking a lot smarter and larger with room to grow. Removing the fence panels really made a big difference and let so much more light through. 


Now the front garden is in transition and a post will follow later this year with before and after photos. I'm making a wildlife garden, so everything I plant is wildlife friendly, especially for bees, butterflies and other insects.

I leave you with these pretty flowers and wish you happy blogging until our return.

SeagullSuzie signing out

24 comments:

  1. Stunning macro shots! And you're going great guns on the garden too. So much better without the fence panels. What was their purpose if not to form a boundary?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea! two panels were six foot high. I've noticed that birds are visiting the garden now it's a bit more open. Glad you like the macro shots, I'd almost forgotten how to use the camera!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful stuff! I love doing macro shots, haven't done any for a while. Must get some worked on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Si, never know if I've got the focus just right-sometimes I can be off to the left or right, but really enjoyed taking these and pleased with the results.

      Delete
  3. Lovely Suzie - I am always surprised at the things that appear when I put macro photos into the computer - there are so many little creatures and colours that we miss with the naked eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosemary, I know what you mean, I really like the little drops of rain on some of the petals.

      Delete
  4. Brilliant macro shots and a lovely look at your garden. Nice to see the before and after photos. Looked like a lovely sunny day too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I now realise what an absolute tip it looked before we started work on it. Still a lot of weeding to do and then planting, but it's getting there.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos and great to see so much for the bees. I look forward to seeing how your garden develops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, the front garden is where I'm really concentrating on bees but the back has come along nicely and I have more birds visiting than before. I can't live with a garden without the buzz of bees around me.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful flowers! Your garden is coming along really well, it looks so different from when you moved in. A wonderful change!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Amy, still lots to do and we have that wretched bind weed all over the estate. I need to let it grow a little so I can kill it off with insecticide (really don't like using that stuff but I don't have a choice here).

      Delete
  7. Excellent photos Suzie, the Clematis shot is particularly stunning :-)

    Good to see and read how the garden is coming along and it is certainly looking better. Hopefully all your hard work will be rewarded with an abundance of colour and wildlife in the future.

    Hope you are well and best wishes to all :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, yes I really like the clematis shot and the colour too. More wildlife coming into the garden, even had some Blue tits visiting the feeders and picking off bugs from the roses.

      Delete
  8. Those are wonderful images - you havve been working so hard on your garden and it already looks so different. The wildlife will beating a path to your garden to share it's delights! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Sarah, the Blackbirds love it, but I'm also starting to get more birds visiting which is an absolute delight for me. Lots of weeding to do before I got mad planting!

      Delete
  9. Beautiful photos Suzie of a lovely selection of flowers. So interesting to see the differences you have made since you moved in :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's only a small garden, but once I got used to it and cleared it, it felt so much better and it's very pretty. The front garden is a real project but one I'm enjoying.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful images of the flowers Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, it was great to get put with the macro lens-haven't done it in ages!

      Delete
  11. love your macro pictures, which camera and lens do you use please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elizabeth, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on the macro images. I use a Nikon camera body D3100 with a Sigma macro 105mm lens. I would have loved the Nikon macro lens, but it was just too expensive and Sigma reviews are very good. I'm really pleased with it. Hope that helps.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.