Thursday, 10 November 2016

A Little Tour Of Scotland

Loch Linnhe is beautiful and very large, it's got to be my favourite Loch and during our summer holiday we travelled around it and across it several times. Has anyone been watching Great Canal Journeys? This stretch of water was featured in the first episode of a two part Scotland trip.


On our way to Fort William we stopped (as many tourists do) at Fort Augustus to see the Caledonian Canal on the edge of Loch Ness



One boat going down

but a full house going up, it was very entertaining viewing!


Urquhart Castle has changed a lot since we last visited. They have really closed it off from view so that the only way to see it is to pay and dogs aren't allowed (I don't mind either of those things at all, but it just seems so mean spirited). The landscaping has been configured, rater meanly in my view, in terracing with high trees and thick shrubs like an impenetrable barrier. I managed this shot through a very small hole in their defences!


Another day out with a drive over to Ockle and we saw these four sheepdogs keeping watch. The one on the far right was the bravest and came over to see what was for our lunch, but the others stayed put. 


We had a picnic and sat by a bridge overlooking a river (possibly the River Ockle) as we were at the small hamlet of Ockle



You'll have to confirm this sighting, I think the Beautiful Demoiselle? There were two flying about by the water and they looked like butterflies from a distance.


On our way back more Hairy Highlanders with a little one


Our holiday wouldn't be complete without a trip to Mull and Tobermory is the pretty port where the ferry lands from Ardnamurchan. We stopped here and had a delicious lunch at a cafe in an old converted church called The Gallery. 



Some slightly more unusual sightings on our day out, a sand man!


A horsefly looking beautiful in the sunshine, although a bite from one of these can be extremely painful


On our way home we travelled with Caledonian MacBrayne from Kilchoan on Ardnamurchan over to Mull and then down the coast of Mull to Craignure to catch the ferry over to Oban. The ferry travels across the Firth of Lorne at the entrance to Loch Linnhe. 
This is Lismore Lighthouse on Eilean Musdile, built in 1833.


And there you have it, four instalments from our holidays in wonderful Scotland. We are planning our next trip already.

I'm not getting much free time for blogging right now, but I've got a post and pics to do on our trip to the Eden Project which was wonderful.

Until next time, take care all
SeagullSuzie

16 comments:

  1. As always your photos are beautiful Suzie and these of Scotland remind me of the many happy holidays I have had in that country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Mel. That's the end of my Scottish photos (until next years visit), Scotland for me is magical and I wish I had visited more when I was young.

      Delete
  2. A further selection of lovely photos from Scotland. The scenery is gorgeous and I agree that it does seem a bit mean to obscure the view of the castle. I last visited Mull nearly 20 years ago so I loved seeing it again. The bright buildings in Tobermory always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Wendy it's still just as pretty and charming, 20 years is a long time but it's hardly changed I bet! We visited Urquhart many years ago way before the fancy visitors centre and screening, it is very beautiful.

      Delete
  3. I love the sand man's fig leaf!! Could this be the reason for his startled expression? Someone had a sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very good sense of humour indeed! Just a shame he didn't have a sand woman...maybe they couldn't find enough leaves!

      Delete
  4. I love those Hairy Highlanders and the sand man. Your images make me want to return to Scotland again, we didn't manage to visit Mull, it looks so colourful! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, the highland cattle were all over the roads on Ardnamurchan (as were the sheep and deer) so plenty of opportunity to stop and look at them, they are very handsome. On our next visit we'd like to stay on Mull and do a proper tour of the island.

      Delete
  5. Lovely photos of your wonderful holiday Suzie. We went to Loch Ness when we were there as the children were much younger and keen to look for the monster!!! :) but have never been to Mull. It is such a beautiful country. Look forward to seeing your Eden Project photos when you get time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks. We have a photo from almost 20 years ago of us standing on the shore of Loch Ness (would love to see Nessie). You would love Mull, very quiet, very beautiful and so much wildlife.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful! I love the highland calf! I was fortunate enough to be in Taynuilt last week (I believe it's about half an hour from Oban). I was only there for one night, but I totally fell in love with the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, I remember you said you were going, such a shame it was only for a day though. I've been watching the Great Canal Journeys two part Scotland series as it was from all the areas I know-so beautiful.

      Delete
  7. Somehow I keep missing your posts.
    This one was wonderful and I adore your header photo !
    Such beautiful places to visit, so lucky.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Parsnip, I decided on a change and love this image as it's so colourful.

      Delete
  8. You took some great images here Suzie. Yes we watched Great Canal Journeys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, but Scotland is so beautiful I don't think anyone could fail to get some good photos. It seems everywhere you look there is something to photograph, and maybe it's the light that helps too.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.