Friday, 13 January 2017

Buzzards and Crows

A buzzard landed on the roof of my neighbours house a few days ago. It was very cold outside so I didn't go out to capture these images as I knew the camera would take time to adjust. These images were taken with the Panasonic Lumix from my front living room.


It wanted a rest, and at the time I didn't know why, but the crows just wouldn't leave it alone. I heard a lot of noise and got up from my office to see what was causing it.


So here it is catching forty winks



But those naughty crows were having none of it


They were even brave enough to pull its tail feathers




It moved about a bit, ruffled its feathers and probably had enough


It was quite funny to watch as it only had to make the smallest move and the crows jumped away


In the end it flew off for some peace, probably into the woods near by. What I learnt later on that day was that my neighbour several doors away had seen this buzzard plucking and eating a crow at the end of her garden.

It's no wonder they were upset!

This is a photograph, taken in my old garden in North Yorkshire, of a wonderful shrub called Stachyurus Praecox. I mention this as it's not easy to find in garden centres and so may be overlooked. It is a wonderful plant for early bees and these little bell shaped flowers are covered in bees on warm winter and early spring days. So long as you have neutral or slightly acid soil, it'll be fine and it's lovely to look at too. It survived my cold and windy garden with almost no looking after.


With cold weather here in Devon I've been topping up the bird feeders with extra treats, peanut cake feeder, mealworms and sunflower hearts. The Woodpigeons are almost resident in the garden and look plump and healthy, but still no real success attracting a larger variety of birds.

The thick, mature hedge in the back garden provides a wonderful shelter for Blackbirds, Robins, Dunnocks and Wrens, I place quite a lot of food under it, so that they are protected from the gulls whilst feeding. The RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch is only two weeks away, and I must say they have a great website page dedicated to it. Have you requested your pack for 2017?

Hope you're all safe in these winter storms
Until next time
SeagullSuzie

9 comments:

  1. Wow, what wonderful pictures of the birds. Quite a sight to see them all together like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sequence of photos with the Buzzard and Crows. The shrub looks very pretty - will make a note of the name. Will be taking part in RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've registered for the Big Garden Bird Watch and have had my pack. We do the survey every year. Like you we have lots of hedges so tend to have lots of sparrows and blackbirds. Your photos of the buzzard and crows are wonderful and the shrub looks lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure that is a buzzard ? It looks like a owl at first and then a small hawk.
    I hope it went some wear to rest. I really do not like crows. They are very mean.
    Buzzard in the US are not that great to look at.
    Love Love Love that plant. I have a lot of rosemary planted for the Arizona Bee that live around me.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Love those photos

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know Buzzards and other birds of prey are predators, but sometimes you have got to feel sorry for them when they are being pestered by Crows and other birds. You can almost feel them getting increasingly fed-up as they simply try to have a rest!

    Thanks for the picture of the shrub and I will certainly keep an eye out for it. We are on chalky soil here but I might be able make the soil more neutral to suit it better.

    Looking forward to hearing how you get on in the Big Garden Birdwatch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely piece of wildlife study - in photographs and words. No wonder they were cross with the Buzzard after he'd eaten one of their mates!

    Aha, I see you have a Panasonic Lumix too. I had one from the family for Christmas, but have only just gotten around to loading the CD=ROM onto the computer, and now find I am a Net framework app amiss. ??? I can apparently send my photos straight to the computer file, but to do that I will have to have the Photofunstudio up and running which it isn't cos of the missing ap. Do you find yours easy to use? I need to do some serious reading of my instructions as it is a bit overwhelming yet!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those Crows were pushing their luck Suzie. It was a good capture though with your Panasonic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun shots of your beautiful birds Susie and your shrub photo held its own beauty. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.