Sunday, 26 February 2017

Brixham Marine Conservation Day

on Tuesday 30th May 2017



What's going on around Brixham harbour? Beach clean up, Marine Mammal Stranding Rescue Demonstration, Marine Monster Sculpture, Evening Seashore Safari, Photo Competition, Crab research/competition, interactive stands... day of talks hosted by the Brixham Yacht Club. 


Who's participating? British Divers Marine Life Rescue, Devon Wildlife Trust, Brixham Seawatch, Devon Seals in the wild, Marine Management Organisation, Edfest, Torbay Coast and Countryside Trust, Marine conservation Society, Community Seagrass Initiative, Plymouth University Marine Institute, Surfers Against Sewage, SharkTrust, National Marine Aquarium, Sea Champions South West.


Find out more at the Brixham Dolphins Twitter page https://twitter.com/BrixhamDolphins and also here to find out about the crowdfunding appeal to raise £1500 the cost to hold the event (marketing, insurance, stalls etc).


Sounds like a great day out, I'll hopefully be booking that day off work to attend and support the Brixham Marine Conservation Project.


This group formed after the sad events last August when two dolphins swam into Brixham harbour, attempts to rescue them were made, and sadly one died. Read more about this story here.

The purpose of the Brixham Marine Conservation Project is to promote a healthier, cleaner, safe marine environment by bringing together Conservation, Education, Research and Tourism. The group also hope to put in place a protocol should more marine mammals become stranded in the harbour in the future.

P.S. Has anyone heard of the Vaquita Porpoise?....me neither until I was writing this post! There are only 30 left in the world, in the  Sea of Cortez in Mexico. Please raise awareness of this creatures plight by spreading the word and visit the Porpoise Conservation Society website here to find out more about Vaquita.

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

8 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness, I am so amazed by these photos.
    I miss living by the ocean so much and I see these photos and can feel and smell the salty air.
    The first two photos are beyond beautiful.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parsnip, these are older photos, but some of my favourites, so glad you like them.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It has been Simon, very wild indeed.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos Suzie - sounds a superb day out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I'm sure it'll be a great day out, my friend will be here on holiday so hoping we can spend that day in Brixham.

      Delete
  4. The Brixham marine Conservation project sounds a great idea. I hope they are successful in raising the money, the insurance for events is also a hurdle and costly. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, they raised over £200 with the appeal, I'm sure the day will go ahead.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.