Thursday, 27 April 2017

Torbay Humpback Whale Update

I tried very hard to get some photos, but I was so excited. It was hard to concentrate and not want to just put the camera down and enjoy the whale via binoculars instead. So here are the 'not very good' photos I managed to get. Below - splashes from the tail slap.


In the photo below the whale has breached the water and is splashing down, you can just make out a tiny bit of the body if you look very hard and use your imagination!


The blowhole spray, which is what I noticed first out in the water, a huge mist which looked like a ghostly windsurfer. I couldn't make it out so I got up to take a closer look with binoculars.


Just managed to catch the tail...if you look very closely


This whale has had a few adventures around our coast, it managed to get trapped in fishing line and was rescued twice in a short period of time at the end of March and in early April, see the photos from the RNLI here as they cut it free.

On April 11th the same whale was apparently seen in Falmouth (identified by the rope burns around the tail) and you can see fabulous photos here and a video. However now they think it was a different whale.

Maybe next year we'll be treated to the same delights and I can only hope that in twelve months we'll be a step closer to caring more for our wonderful oceans and the creatures that live in them....but then again maybe not!

You may be interested in the story concerning one of the worlds biggest cruise operators 'Princess Cruises' and the illegal dumping of their waste into our seas over many years.

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

8 comments:

  1. Oh Suzie I do hope we'll become better at caring for this planet. I also hope that you'll get to see a whale again. They're so beautiful - you are truly fortunate to have spotted this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, it seems as though due to climate changes and the fact that we humans are set to poison our oceans and destroy this beautiful planet that we are seeing more humpback whales than before. It was very exciting and if it hadn't been for my sore feet, I never would have been resting with my feet up on the sofa facing the bay!

      Delete
  2. We were very lucky to see the whale one afternoon in Torbay with similar signs to the ones you show in your photos. Very exciting!
    I have grave doubts about cruise ships in general and their effects on oceans and climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should ban all cruise ships from travelling right now, inspect them before they go back out and make them contribute to some sort of ocean clean up.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful wonderful sighting Suzie - no wonder you were excited :) Some friends of ours visited Brixham for a short break recently and were hoping to see it. Not sure yet though if they did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's moved on, but there were many sightings from Berry Head, and it should be in the northern seas by now.

      Delete
  4. That humpback whale has had quite an adventure in the last few weeks! I am not surprised to hear about the illegal dumping a friend of ours used to be in merchant shipping and told us it used to be common place years ago. It was good that someone had the courage to speak out. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the reasons why the sea is full of floating rubbish. He got a good payout too and well deserved.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.