Friday, 19 May 2017

Spring Flowers and Humming-bird Hawk-moth

Beautiful apple blossom


 A stunning little apple tree I bought last year-tough and sturdy it withstands the easterly and westerly winds in the north facing front garden


Pulmonaria-looking great this year and giving the bees a valuable early food source. This was a little plant given to me by my friend Anne many years ago. I propagate it regularly and it's moved house many times.



Another favourite- Geum (unknown name) bought many years ago from Dove Cottage Nursery at a plant fair and another house mover. Sadly it doesn't attract many insects. However this has been the best year for it in many years as it usually gets mildew.



Looks lovely mixed into the garden as the flowers stand well above the leaves 


Frost is not a thing we see in Torbay very often but early in December we had a very hard frost and it produced a beautiful mist across the bay.


Percy was not impressed and decided to get comfortable in his snuggle bag.


Boo snoozing in the long warm spell of weather in April and probably the driest spring we've had for many years


A garden project-ugly wall


Transformed with the help of the front of an old beach hut they were clearing off site, a chainsaw and two strong men (husband and gardener friend Chris).


Decorating is finally finished, I love this wood panel effect wallpaper in the hall.


A quick catch up on the house and garden, and the first time I had a moment to myself , I should have posted this weeks ago.

Best of all I've had a humming-bird hawk-moth in the garden feeding on Centranthus ruber (red valerian). I was able to get quite close and see it feeding on the flowers.



Ta-dah...at last a photo in focus, very hard to do as it moves so quickly.


Only the third time in my life I've ever seen one.

Until next time
SeagullSuzie

18 comments:

  1. Gorgeous moth shots - your bee in the early shots is an interesting looking species too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, I believe this is a female anthophora plumpies bee, fits the feeding time and their favourite flower is lungwort (pulmonaria), so I'm sure I got this ID correct. We get lots of them down here. I was delighted to get that moth-used my best camera, took lots of photos and only got these three that could be used!

      Delete
    2. I agree, its a female Hairy Footed Flower Bee (A.plumipes), they love pulmonaria.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post, so happy to see you pop up on my reader !
    You garden is lovely so lovely. Plus you know how much I love Percy with the black tail. He is gorgeous.
    boo is very sweet.
    I love your new yard.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Parsnip. Percy is lovely but sheds all that white fur continuously-it's so thick which is what makes him so cuddly. Very pleased with how the garden is coming on, so glad to hear you like it too.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous floral photos

    Julie xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, the garden is a beautiful place in May with everything growing so well, getting lots of insects and birds now.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures! You have a lovely blog...
    Have a great weekend now!
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment-glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see a post from you. Great to see the humming bird hawk moth. I've not seen one yet this year. Love the house and garden- it all looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello CT and thanks. Been so busy, life has just gone crazy and I'm not getting out with the camera as much or having time to myself, but trying to blog when I can as I do enjoy it.

      Delete
  6. Those are amazing images of the bee and moth. Hope all is well with you, I am way behind in reading blogs! Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, busy but trying to keep on top of everything. I was very lucky with the moth, second time it came into the garden, so I thought I'd run in and get the camera....luckily it had a charge and the right lens!

      Delete
  7. Great capture of the Hawk Moth Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Roy, I was very lucky to get at least one photo in focus.

      Delete
  8. Lovely flowers Suzie. That moth is being seen quite often now around the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Roy, I've seen it a few times on the valerian in the front garden, but it does seem to be more visible across the country.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment. I read them all. At the moment I'm struggling for time making it difficult to reply individually to each comment, but I'll do my best.